New Tank Build

ryanlio

Great effort! I too diy an acrylic sump tank recently. Joints are not display tank standard without a proper table mounted router. I cheated by adding triangular supports all over the inner joints to prevent leaks. I guess sanding is much more difficult to get a good joint.

• SRC Member

reeferguy, I got my router from homely hardware.. Cost around $70.. the reason why I get it us because it's quite a versatile tool to have.. trims Formica too.. If u do get one, remember to get a flush bit as well.

Yup I got the glue (highland) n the wood (Teck Heng Long - Thanks bro kaykay for the lobang..) from the same supplier as you.

Yes, syringe is too hard to control.. the bottle needle tip applicator is much easier.. I think I should stock up as well.. the boss wanna carrot chop me to sell @ 15.. I resisted.. hahaha ..

Do post some picture on your build as well.. this is on DIY thread So meant for information sharing.... I'll create a tank blog once I transfer my ls over..

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

• SRC Member

Ckl, acrylic. Dama 10mm 8x4 ft cost $140.. add about $2 each for cutting.. for the size of my tank 30x30x12.. I got away with 1 sheet with some spare.. I heard that if u get it polished, it will craze when u glue it.. So check with them if they can do smoother cut.ethics other techniques .. I didn't request..

For the wood.. it's about $50 for kapor timber.. plywood are easily about $80 I guess.. I got the plywood somewhere else.. So I kenna chop for that part.. am blacklisting that supplier in eunos..

Hope it helps..

• Like 1

• SRC Member

Will start transferring ls soon

• SRC Member

Ckl, acrylic. Dama 10mm 8x4 ft cost $140.. add about $2 each for cutting.. for the size of my tank 30x30x12.. I got away with 1 sheet with some spare.. I heard that if u get it polished, it will craze when u glue it.. So check with them if they can do smoother cut.ethics other techniques .. I didn't request..

For the wood.. it's about $50 for kapor timber.. plywood are easily about $80 I guess.. I got the plywood somewhere else.. So I kenna chop for that part.. am blacklisting that supplier in eunos..

Hope it helps..

Hi bro.

Can share with me on the dimension of the kapor wood?

I'm planning to have one 3 x 2 x 2 cabinet which hope you can share with me.

Thanks in advance.

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

Hi ryanlio, thanks for the info which will come in useful when I embark on my maiden project.

Looking forward to seeing further updates from you.

Cheers,

• Like 1
1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38

• SRC Member

Oceanviper..

Kapor timber part list.

1. 2X1 - 770mm 4 pieces..

2. 2X1 - 730 mm 6 pieces

3. 2X2 - 700 mm 4 pieces

4. 2X1 - 130mm 1 pieces.. this is for vertical braces x2 . This will be cut after assembly, cos measurement will vary after building..

Hope this helps.

But bro oceanviper.. take note am doing a Shorty here..

• Like 1

• SRC Member

post-3704-13470180414753_thumb.jpg

Semi completed left the doors.. am overseas past few days.

• Like 1

• SRC Member

post-3704-13470181918011_thumb.jpg

• SRC Member

post-3704-13470182535544_thumb.jpg

Photography is bad.. haha

• SRC Member

Few problems..

1. Need time shift my lights another 1.5 ft above.. quite high to accommodate the 2.5 ft width... I think due to shallowness n lps should be OK..

2. My deltec Skimmer mce600 can't fit.. the collection cup cannot be removed if fitted in cabinet. Perhaps I can DIY a Shorty again.. Hahhha

• SRC Member

Oceanviper..

Kapor timber part list.

1. 2X1 - 770mm 4 pieces..

2. 2X1 - 730 mm 6 pieces

3. 2X2 - 700 mm 4 pieces

4. 2X1 - 130mm 1 pieces.. this is for vertical braces x2 . This will be cut after assembly, cos measurement will vary after building..

Hope this helps.

But bro oceanviper.. take note am doing a Shorty here..

Hi bro.

Noted and thanks for the part list...

Tank : 3 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup end Feb 2014 ) --> 4 x 2 x 1.8 ( setup early Nov 2016 )
Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC6 --> Bubble Magus Curve 7
Return pump : Jebao 10000l/h ( down in 17th December 2014 ) --> Jebao DC-12000 ( 19th December 2014 )
Compressor drop-in coil
Wavemaker : Tunze 6105 x 1
Lights : Modular based DIY LED light x 4

Chaeto in the sump

• SRC Member

Hi Kaykay, says polished surface may cause crazing here http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?236197-How-thick-should-my-acrylic-be

Perhaps it applies to flame polished ones.. if u ever try pre-cut + Polish with out crazing, do share with us.. it may be my long term solution.. hahah ha.

Yeah Formica is quite easy to work with.. I used a router to trim the edges.. alternatively, if u cut the Formica close to the edge, then u can easier file to edge using a file..

I will love to know where to purchase a standard side trimmings to just glue on.. currently I had to cut strips of Formica the thickness of plywood and stick them to the edges..

• SRC Member
Wah Mike, making a bigger tank to replace existing? That will be great! Add fuel!

Hi Klim, this tank will stay with me for quite a while. Hahaha hardwork sweat put into this.. I need a workshop.. haha

• SRC Member

I will love to know where to purchase a standard side trimmings to just glue on.. currently I had to cut strips of Formica the thickness of plywood and stick them to the edges..

i have the contacts for the pvc edging for laminates -- it comes in 2 sizes; 23mm and 45mm and they sell it per roll (100m/roll) i'll let you know tomorrow as it is in my office....

i guess we shop around the same place -- i go crazy when i head to homely as they got everything you will want and need and best is they are even open on sundays :)

• SRC Member

Cool!.. No worries.. really a thread for all bros to contribute n share.. it's really not mine.

• SRC Member
bro ryanlio, not to hijack your thread but can check my build-up here -- http://fragfreak.blogspot.sg/

Reeferguy, cool blog u have there.. love the cement flooring u had in your home..

Did u Polish your pre-cut acrylic before gluing?. I had mentioned about crazing effect on acrylic during gluing, however it seemed like this only happens if flame Polish is carried out before gluing.. not Sure if crazing might happen if pre-cut + the polishing (non flame polish ) @ supplier...

• SRC Member

Did u Polish your pre-cut acrylic before gluing?.

Nope, i didn't polish it. I did the same procedure as you did -- before connecting the parts I had the sawn parts of the acrylic routed. I used an aluminum rafter square to scrape of the saw marks. Usually you only flame polish the acrylic after you have finished the binding job but for me I don't even bother to do so. I am much concerned about stability and no leakages than looks....

• 4 weeks later...