Seeding a DSB

brent

Hi

I just added some more sand to make a DSB. Do you have any suggestion where I can get some seed material to kick start the DSB? I'm referring to healthly sand with pods, mini stars, etc which is free from parasites.

Thanks!

What do you want the DSB to do for your tank? Denitriying or to have fishes sleep inside it? For denitriying efffect will take months and need at least 6inches high.

Liverock will seed your DSB with bacteria, worms, pods. So need to be patience on that.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

Thanks for the reply. It's for denitrification as well as critters for the fish to forage. I'm slowly building up the bed. Right now it's about 4" in the front and 5" in the back. I'll probably stop at 6" in the back and 5" in the front.

I made the classic rookie mistake of getting a sand sifting star which is going back to the LFS today, but now I need replenish. I can try changing out one of my LRs which sounds like a good idea but many of the books also talk about seeding. I just don't know how to get seeding sand without risking aiptasia and other nasties.

Any suggested LFS for LR that don't involve going out to the CF?

Hi Bros, i was just wondering, there are some that swear by DSB while others say its an old theory that doesnt work no matter how carefully you set it up. I do not know whether to go with DSB if i do set up a 4-5 feet system.

Any senior 'shi-fu' to advise newbies?

With DSB and tons of LR will keep your tank stable in long run.

I understand that and i want to go with it as well. But someone told me that in long run, it traps detritus and will result in hydrogen sulphide etc... Hmm... So far, online also got a lot of people say its good, and a lot say its not so good... So i lost now! Sianz...

Most experts really encourage it. However, they say that it is quite important to also have good dynamic flow with a decent quality skimmer to minimize detritus.

I also bought some sand snails to help aerate the top part of the sand bed. That being said, you aren't supposed to disturb it too much and if you need to move the sand or switch tanks, you are supposed to clean most of it and start over.

If I had the space & money, I would have the DSB in a refugium. This would probably be your best bet if you are setting up a large system.

• SRC Member

I understand that and i want to go with it as well. But someone told me that in long run, it traps detritus and will result in hydrogen sulphide etc... Hmm... So far, online also got a lot of people say its good, and a lot say its not so good... So i lost now! Sianz...

If you are afraid of hydrogen sulfide, use a plenum dsb. Very safe, slightly longer to stabilise though

I thought its best to have a DSB throughout your main Display Tank rather than just your refugium, correct me if i am wrong. Some people would place mineral/miracle mud in the refugium along with certain algaes (chaeto) while having a DSB in their main tank. Any inputs?