crystal pro ro/di vs ZeRO EX 4- RO/DI 4 Stages

inwear

Nope even with 3 stage also need to be drop by drop. For faster rate will be RO/DI.

5x2.5x1.5ft Rimless Dream Tank (06/03/12)
Skimmer - Reefoctupus

Return Pump - 1 x Eheim 1264, 1 x water blaster 7k
Wavemaker - 2 x mp40es
Chiller - Daikin compressor with coil drop in
Lighting - 4 x 80w T5 Pair 1(6hrs23/12/12),Pair 2(16/06/12312hrs 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (1/3/12) -(15/11/12)6hrs and 2 x 80w De-lighting Retrofit (13/10/12) -6hrs)
Reactor - Dosing pump (01/01/11)

• SRC Member

Bro wrasse, i still have not figure out how to attach photo/ pics here yet. However, the link to this DI unit is here:

http://freshnmarine.com.sg/estore/product_info.php?products_id=2747

The TDS meter used is supplied with this DI unit, exactly same as the one I bought few months back. It is aquapro or something. Can't really remember the name. The TDS for my tap water without going thro' DI is 127. Seems like AMK tap water better than Jurong West. My HDB built in Nov 1999.

• SRC Member

Woodlands area tds is 60+/-.. I use crystal pro 3 stage (1 carbon 2 DI) and with moderate flow the tds meter on the crystal pro shows 0 ppm.. I use another tds meter also show 0ppm..I usually let it flow slow but not to the extend of drip by drip though..

• Like 1

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Bro, then the tap water there @ woodlands even better than AMK. Half of mine. :( .Maybe i might make a trip down to madpetz. Thinking of upgrading the unit. Or take purified water produced by my company where i work. Conductivity 0.2 microsiemens only. :P<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

• SRC Member

today i was filling up my tank with DI.. since its rather slow so i open the tap almost full.. TDS was around 4 - 5 ppm.. nearing the end of the filling, my tds came out to be 8 - 10.. probably need to change the resin liao

• SRC Member

I tried drop by drop today & the TDS still 32. *sign*. Gave up on this. Will be considering giving away this unit.<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br /><br />

Reef Fish, I am using Crystsl Pro 3 stages for 4 Years now. Only once that I had a problem.<br />The resin container wasn't set properly and the water actually didn't flow through the resin. Resulting a high tdm reading.<br />You could be having the same problem. <br />Do take out the 2 container bottles and refix them.<br />Hope it helps<br />Yt

• SRC Member

I had checked to ensure that it was seated properly already, even changing to 18megohm one. I guess my tap water TDS is high, 143, & single stage is insufficient. I will get a 3 stage one next time. Currently using back my previous one which i had no problem, TDS 0, only that the resin have to change every 2 months at $50 per change & bring down to one of the LFS. No choice but guess it will be better for my precious corals. Thanks for your advice.<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

• SRC Member

I had checked to ensure that it was seated properly already, even changing to 18megohm one. I guess my tap water TDS is high, 143, & single stage is insufficient. I will get a 3 stage one next time. Currently using back my previous one which i had no problem, TDS 0, only that the resin have to change every 2 months at $50 per change & bring down to one of the LFS. No choice but guess it will be better for my precious corals. Thanks for your advice.<br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2<br /><br />

if you are using generic 3 strage filtration system or crystal pro 3 stage, go visit madpetz and get their refillable cartridge and DI resin. should be cheaper than what you are paying for right now.. your area TDS is really high..

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

anyone know what is the capacity of zero di unit ? how about the crystal pro ??

am looking either 3 stage crystal pro or 3 stage zero di.

wondering which will be cheaper to maintain ?

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

• SRC Member

what a fast reply ! is RO really necessary ?

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

very good timing then :yahoo:

hmmm i suppose your using crystal pro ??

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• SRC Member

yes crystal pro 3 stage but carbon and resin cartridge (refillable) are from madpetz. its the standard 10" cartridge.. buy the 5L resin from madpetz and i believe can last me a long time.

• SRC Member

got it :thumbsup:

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I have a 5 stage zero.

Getting about 20ltr of good water with about 30ltr "waste" water over 2+ hours.

What is the crystal water system's performance ?

• SRC Member

I am no expert here but RO & DI is different methods of producing filtered water.

RO - Reverse osmosis - requires changing of membrane. (Water pressure needed for it to work optimally)

DI - Deionization - requires changing of (ion-exchange) resin.

So my conclusion is that if your unit requires you to change both then it is an RODI unit. Otherwise it is only RO unit or DI unit.

My guess Crystal pro 3 stage is a DI unit and Zero EX 5 stage is RODI unit. I would assume RODI unit can produce better water for reefing.

• Like 1

True and not true Boonboy.

Definition is true but different is in stages.

RODI like Zero 5 stage purifies water by passing water through reverse osmosis membrane then deionized resin.

DI units like Crystal purifies water by passing water through the deionised resin.

The lack of the reverse osmosis membrane shortens the lifespan of the resin.

So if standard lifespan of the resin with RO membrane is 2 years, the same resin only lasts 6 mths without the RO membrane.

Nevertheless both serves the same purpose in purifying water.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.