lighting help

bubble_gum

• SRC Member

hi everyone

im new here and i need help with my lights.

MH and T5 are out due to cost prices(hey im only 16 and still suriving on pocket money) well i want to ask shoud i go for

(1) 1 fl no 10 000k and 2 50/50 pl lights?

(2) 1 fl no 20 000k and 2 50/50 pl lights?

im currently running 1 15wt 10 000k fl and 1 15watt 20 000k fl with one 50/50 pl.

should i stay with my lights or switch to the either two combi or maybe switch to all pl lights?

my tanks is a 2footer and abt 16 inch deep. am not running a DSB but i have 1.5 to 2 inch of crushed coral sand which i renew every 3 mnths.

i have heard succes stories with keeping maximas n croceas under PL lights as long as they are not blue.

is the kind of lighting i can afford a go for lps corals like bubble, hammer, frogspawn???

any help from anyone would be much appreciated.

• SRC Member

geez! first post here!!! firstly let me welcome you to the club :peace: and that the minimum is a T5 if you need to keep a clam. regarding about your lighting issue it really depends on the type of corals you wish to keep...

if i were you i'll rather stick with my current lights (1 15wt 10 000k fl and 1 15watt 20 000k fl with one 50/50 pl) with a FOWLR till i save up enough from my pocket money not forgetting red packets? and get a T5 or even a MH though it cost alot more then FL & PL it's definately worth investing reefers here would agree with me too. :)

btw are you a male or a female? :P

• SRC Member

oh yah i was like you surviving on NS allowence i got myself a PL 2*24watts and was naive, got myself some corals and they almost died on me after which i was left with no choice but to give them to my friends... one day i finally saved up enuf for a set of T5 and TA DAH~ you'll appreciate my advise :lol:

dun waste anymore $$$

let just have a rough figure of the price:

(1) 1 fl no 10 000k and 2 50/50 pl lights? <----- 150+-

(2) 1 fl no 20 000k and 2 50/50 pl lights? <----- 150+-

you'll need another $100+- to get yourself a T5!!! it's not hard and should not take long either... do consider a long term investment not a short one :eyebrow:

• SRC Member

thanks guys for the quick response...

ok i will stick with my current lights but have a wee bit of a prob....

the guy at the lfs told me that brown gols clams can survive under pl lights. well i kinda have 4 clams and before they bleach, i think i better sell them away....

i got one from my bro

one from my fren

one i bought after being persuaded by the lfs guy

and my dad bought one tiny max abt 1.5 inch

in deep shit......

hey maybe i could sell away all my clams and probly get a t5 light? :rolleyes:

do any of you know how much a t5 probably cost? maybe can use 2 pl and one t5

• SRC Member

Hi,

Getting a T5 or MH is not a must for clams. Reefers had much success keeping them under PL before T5HO even came out. PL has always been the sub for MH. Its just how many tubes u need to use to be sufficient for the clams. But now, T5HO offer more edge against PL, so pple are slowly switching.

1 of the disadvantage of using PL is the heat. Try to locate the ballast separate from the tube will help alot with the heat problem.

As yr tank is only a 2ft & 16" deep, u can try to squeeze in 4 tubes of 36W/55W PL. It should be enough for the clams. Besides, just use the orsam PL for white & blue. They offer much higher intensity & last more than 9mths. Not like other brand that is cheap but last for less than 3 mths.

Next, u should check yr water parameters. Is yr filtration able to provide the ideal water parameters for the clams? I can tell u they are very senstive to the water quality. I used to use clams, shrimps & tunicates as an water indicator cos they are very senstive creatures.Temp is best kept at ard 26-28. Use a fan if u are tight on budget, try to keep the temp no more than 28. Min fluc of temp is equally impt.

Do more research on clams. They are beautiful, but make sure u got the appropriate lighting & filtration(water condition & temp) before u get them. I suggest u can just long bang yr friend for sometime before u setup a suitable tank for them.

Cheers!

Wei :)

• SRC Member
Hi,

Getting a T5 or MH is not a must for clams. Reefers had much success keeping them under PL before T5HO even came out. PL has always been the sub for MH. Its just how many tubes u need to use to be sufficient for the clams. But now, T5HO offer more edge against PL, so pple are slowly switching.

1 of the disadvantage of using PL is the heat. Try to locate the ballast separate from the tube will help alot with the heat problem.

As yr tank is only a 2ft & 16" deep, u can try to squeeze in 4 tubes of 36W/55W PL. It should be enough for the clams. Besides, just use the orsam PL for white & blue. They offer much higher intensity & last more than 9mths. Not like other brand that is cheap but last for less than 3 mths.

Next, u should check yr water parameters. Is yr filtration able to provide the ideal water parameters for the clams? I can tell u they are very senstive to the water quality. I used to use clams, shrimps & tunicates as an water indicator cos they are very senstive creatures.Temp is best kept at ard 26-28. Use a fan if u are tight on budget, try to keep the temp no more than 28. Min fluc of temp is equally impt.

Do more research on clams. They are beautiful, but make sure u got the appropriate lighting & filtration(water condition & temp) before u get them. I suggest u can just long bang yr friend for sometime before u setup a suitable tank for them.

Cheers!

Wei :)

sorry for my wrong advise i did't go that deep into it :( anyway wei your advice is practical and useful to even me :) thanks wei

• SRC Member

PL provide as good light intensity if not better than t5 IMO. I would suggest you get many PL lights for your tank. AS much as your tank can fit haha. Many have kept clams and SPS under PL light sucessfully for lomg periods. ask around.

Live and Let Live

• SRC Member

thanks alll for ur advice

wat im interested in now is whether to switch to 3 pl or 2 atit5.

i wouldnt want to but 2 more pl den upgrade again to t5s. waste of money rite.

btw way can anyone advice me on proper filtration for clams? i think they are beautiful and worth the money to spent on equipment.

thanks guys for all ur help

• SRC Member

i used to keep PL light too for clams, they survive for a few mths then mati

now i change my Pl light to 250 w metal halide for my new 2 feet cube tank

need to get a chiller too $$$

it is expensive but worth the money when u can keep sps and clams