Mushroom not doing well after FW dip

Firestarter

• SRC Member

I got a small rock of blue mushrooms (5 heads) yesterday.

Found that they have flatworms on them, so 2 hrs after putting them in my DT, I took the rock out and dipped it in distilled water for 2 mins.

Flatworms are gone but 2 of the heads started spitting out its guts after that, but did not retract them even after an hour.

This morning I found the 2 heads with guts from its side sticking out (not the mouth). Do you think my mushrooms will survive?

First time doing a FW dip on mushrooms.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member

I didn't do fw dip on that before but I did it for my gsp hammerhead and zoas. It should be fine after 1-3days. My gsp took 2weeks for the first polyp to come out.. Give it some time

My GSP bought yesterday as well opened immediately in DT once the lights were on. Hope my mushrooms survive.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

My GSP bought yesterday as well opened immediately in DT once the lights were on. Hope my mushrooms survive.

Try locate them in low flow area first... short duration freshwater dip shld be fine. Cheers..

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

why do fw dip for coral? I thought in the market, there is product for coral dip if I am not wrong. Correct me if I am wrong.

Read that the most effective way to remove flatworms is to do a FW dip.

I've since moved the rock to a shady area.. the white guts are lesser but they are still shriveled up. Keeping my fingers crossed.

It is prudent to ensure the pH of your FW is similar to your SW before doing FW bath. pH swing may kills even the hardiest of livestock. ;)

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

I heard of coral RX for coral dip and its more effective in killing those parasites as compared to fw.

This also can mix with FW... Shld be fine with FW dip.... Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Read that the most effective way to remove flatworms is to do a FW dip.

I've since moved the rock to a shady area.. the white guts are lesser but they are still shriveled up. Keeping my fingers crossed.

try predator fish like wrasses and also control your tank nutrient.. flatworms propagate fast if high nutrient.. Cheers..

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

Do you think they will pull through? Anyone had experienced this before?

Yes, they can be recover.. make sure no further stress on it.. low flow, good light and cool temp will help. Cheers...

BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

• SRC Member

Every morning when I reach the office, the mushrooms seem to have its guts out. The weird thing is that the guts are not from the mouth, but rather from the sides or foot of the mushroom. Over the day the guts will retract / spew again.

Every morning when I reach the office, the mushrooms seem to have its guts out. The weird thing is that the guts are not from the mouth, but rather from the sides or foot of the mushroom. Over the day the guts will retract / spew again.

Hmm, could it be the temperature climbs during the night as your air-con is shut after office hour?

I had a planted tank in office previously with similar situation - livestocks were stressed in the morning and looks better in the afternoon and cycle repeat. In the end, I found out one day when I have to got back office at 2am, the temperature was 32 degrees before air-con is on!

I finally address the problem by installing a fan to come on after the central air-con is off. Hope that helps.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381

• SRC Member

Hmm, could it be the temperature climbs during the night as your air-con is shut after office hour?

I had a planted tank in office previously with similar situation - livestocks were stressed in the morning and looks better in the afternoon and cycle repeat. In the end, I found out one day when I have to got back office at 2am, the temperature was 32 degrees before air-con is on!

I finally address the problem by installing a fan to come on after the central air-con is off. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the tip! Tank temp when aircon is on is 24'C. At night it shoots up to 26'C.

Will add a fan to see how it goes.

• SRC Member

It has been a week since I dipped the mushrooms in FW.

Still no signs of recovery, even though the mushrooms have not melted.

Any experts here to comment on whether they can survive?

post-13947-0-21367100-1349082875_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Its been almost 3 weeks now and the mushrooms have still not recovered.

Here it is as of today.

post-13947-0-83852200-1350291167_thumb.j

It is recovering very very slowly.... at least it has not melted.

The other heads seem to be squished up as well.