New zoas. Help needed

Marine_fanaticz

So I have a 10g nano aquarium using an overflow sump( sump is rather small but I believe it's sufficient; ceramic and glass rings, and wool).

Today just got some zoas couldn't resist, the coral farm at pasir rid farmway 2 told me they're the simplest to keep.

I'm not using a skinmer at the moment but might using the dymax IQ slimmer soon. my questions are

1)Can I keep these zoas without a skimmer?

2) I'm not sure what led lifting on using as this is a all on one china tank but seems very bright.. Is it sufficient? How long must I switch it on per day? Using the blue or white lights?

3) I switch on my aircon every night but not during

the day, I have no chiller. But got a Dymax W8 vortex cooling fan.. How? Because it seems to be causing a high evaporation rate and I have to top up more freshwater daily which will in turn lead to a decrease in salinity which is bad my my zoas..

4) I feed it with ken marine microvert. I'm also concern about the ammonia produced from its food. Will the bioload from its food and the zoas itself be a problem?

5)is it a danger to other fishes? I have one damsel and planning to keep a clownfish soon.

Cheers:)

• SRC Member

3 - During evaporation, salt will stay, only water evaporate, topping up freshwater will regain the salinity back to the required parameter

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

how big again is your tank? if your tank is small enough, the flow from the water output (from the sump back to main tank) would be sufficient for zoa IMO.

as for temperature, i would say the fan is needed in our climate. best to maintain around 26 to 28 degrees celsius. be careful at night though. switching the aircon would cause drop in the temperature below 25. unless ur aircon is always turned to 26 to 28 then should be fine. getting a chiller will always be a good idea.

topping up of water - do remember to use DI/RO water for these. best to standby a bucket full of DI/RO water for top ups. watch for pH too.

food - for starters, zoas would be just happy with regular water changes with occasional dose of coral food - once a week? don't dose too much or it will foul up ur tank.

as for ammonia and fishes - i assume your tank has completed its 4 weeks water cycle? if so, then i don't think ammonia would be a problem coz your established bacteria would have already helped u with that. watch for nitrate. too high of it will cause stress to fish and corals losing color. if your tank has not completed the water cycle, then...the damsel shouldn't be in there in the first place. but i doubt thats the case?

don't add anymore fishes just yet. get the hang of handling the routine of your tank system first - water change, feeding and temperature etc.

lastly, welcome to reefing!!!

The Best Way Is To Keep It Simple.

• SRC Member

Not necessary for wavemaker if water flow enough. I think for ur case ios water flow outlet is rather small. Have a wavemaker helps alot.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

how big again is your tank? if your tank is small enough, the flow from the water output (from the sump back to main tank) would be sufficient for zoa IMO.

as for temperature, i would say the fan is needed in our climate. best to maintain around 26 to 28 degrees celsius. be careful at night though. switching the aircon would cause drop in the temperature below 25. unless ur aircon is always turned to 26 to 28 then should be fine. getting a chiller will always be a good idea.

topping up of water - do remember to use DI/RO water for these. best to standby a bucket full of DI/RO water for top ups. watch for pH too.

food - for starters, zoas would be just happy with regular water changes with occasional dose of coral food - once a week? don't dose too much or it will foul up ur tank.

as for ammonia and fishes - i assume your tank has completed its 4 weeks water cycle? if so, then i don't think ammonia would be a problem coz your established bacteria would have already helped u with that. watch for nitrate. too high of it will cause stress to fish and corals losing color. if your tank has not completed the water cycle, then...the damsel shouldn't be in there in the first place. but i doubt thats the case?

don't add anymore fishes just yet. get the hang of handling the routine of your tank system first - water change, feeding and temperature etc.

lastly, welcome to reefing!!!

Thanks mate! Anyways mine is a 10g nano rather tall, not sure what's the exact length. gg to get a water change done since I've just added these corals. aqua star is rather near my house and a 2 litre bottle of saltwater cost a dollar. any other bottled chemicals you think I should add?

Not necessary for wavemaker if water flow enough. I think for ur case ios water flow outlet is rather small. Have a wavemaker helps alot.

Yep gg to get a wave maker tomorrow at pasir ris farm. if I can be successful at this, I'll probably upgrade my tank in a year or so, looking for a bigger tank with a bigger overflow sump.

• SRC Member

10 Gallon dont really need skimmer, do regular water change = sufficient

Teh'sTankSetup Decomm on 18/8/2012

Tank: 2x1x1 Rimless Tank (Sumpless)

Lighting: Aquazonic 2x24watts T5 (Actinic x Sun White)

Moonlight: Acardia 1W Led Light (Blue)

Filter: ISTA Max Care Cannister

Skimmer: Bubble Magus E3

Chiller: Resun CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Wave: Boyu WM-25

Commissioned 20/9/2012

Tank: 3x2x2.5

Lighting: 250w DeLighting MH/ 2x 39w Delighting Diy T5 ATI Blue Plus

Skimmer: H&S Skimmer Type 110-F2000

Chiller: CL450 (Aquazonic Evo Pump)

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Reactor: D&D H2Ocean FMR 75 (ADA 1500 Pump)(Rowaphos)

Wavemaker: 2x SunSun Wavemaker (3000L)

Incoming:

Conch ll Basic

ATO System/Tunze Osmolator

Magic Marine 3CH Dosing Pump

If you hard working change water regularly lor haha. IMO if you wanna stock it substantially should still have a skimmer, if not nutrient build up v fast especially in small tank.

Hmmm guess I have to go to C328 tomorrow to get a dymax IQ skimmer( the only on to fit my tank) thanks for the advise:)

• SRC Member

Thanks mate! Anyways mine is a 10g nano rather tall, not sure what's the exact length. gg to get a water change done since I've just added these corals. aqua star is rather near my house and a 2 litre bottle of saltwater cost a dollar. any other bottled chemicals you think I should add?

If u wan get from aquastar.. Think u better get from me for free. I always store my old water. I change my water every week.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png