mandarin dragonet

Hi Folks,

Our favorite fish in our 4ft tank is a male green mandarin dragonet. It's been with us for a year now and seems very happy. Now we are wondering if it is possible to add in a female mandarin so he will have a playmate. I have a 3 ft sump full of chaeto with pods, etc so I believe there will be enough food for 2 mandarins. Anyone added a second mandarin after a while can please share their experience?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi Folks,

Our favorite fish in our 4ft tank is a male green mandarin dragonet. It's been with us for a year now and seems very happy. Now we are wondering if it is possible to add in a female mandarin so he will have a playmate. I have a 3 ft sump full of chaeto with pods, etc so I believe there will be enough food for 2 mandarins. Anyone added a second mandarin after a while can please share their experience?

Thanks.

should be ok. mine is 3x3x2 with a sump. i added a pair in together. been a few mths now.

u need to observe their stomach to see if they r full, esp yr current male. if after u add the female n u see tat the male stomach has sunken then not enough food. high chance it will perish.

Also need to take note if u have any wrasse or any pods competitor.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I got one female, one male at Aquamarine about three weeks ago. There are big ones at Coral Farm as of last week.

Both of mine are happy and fat, but they love to hide! Also, they are PRONE TO ICH. They brought the stuff into my tank and now I have quarantined one yellow tang, one algae blenny, and five ocellaris. I have completed four tank transfers at 48 hrs each and believe the ich is gone from the QT fish. They will be QT for at least another three weeks. As for the mandarins, I need to find a live, constant food source so I can QT. I will use high and dry method to catch them, feed baby brine shrimp, then train to eat frozen foods then maybe pellets. I will tank transfer them as well. The display will go fallow six weeks...

LESSON HERE - MANDARINS CAN AND DO GET SICK

• 1 month later...