Back to the hobby

Hi guys,

New to this forum, my first post, but not that new to the hobby.

Planning on getting back to the hobby.

I previously ran a sustainable system for >3 years (after some accidents got it running smoothly for 2.5 years) when studying overseas and really miss it!

My previous sytem was:

Tank and filter:

Jewel 120L box tank

External canister Eheim filter

Small internal filter (filter/powerhead)

15kg live rock and sand

UV filter

T5 blue/white lights

(No protein skimmer)

Livestock:

1 large maroon

1 cleaner wrasse

1 yellow tang

2 other small fisk (i think damsels)

Couple zoas and mushrooms and fan worms

Algae basket

Water:

Tropic Marin salt

RO water (from lab haha)

I only did 10% water change everymoth, and topped up evaporation 2x/week with RO water.

I guess the clean water supply used and relatively low bioload helped in this system.

This experiene was whilst studying overseas in a heated apartment (Free university housing heating) so temp was stable.

When I came back few years ago tried to get my system done here, not successful

-problems with water temp (no chiller)

-no access to RO water so tried tap water

-helper in house who thought it would be nice to put paint remover in tank!!!

Needless to say my son now wants me to set up a tank, so I think will be getting back into it soon:)

Need to start from scratch as old equipment all contaminated and thinking what to setup.

My main concern is temp control and saftey with 3 small kids about.

Temp wise if I keep in a room with aircon on half the day I worry that it may get too cold (yes someone likes it 20 degrees in the house). Would I then need a heart aswell! lol

I saw a couple nano tanks with IOS (comes with internal UV sterilise, protein skimmer and lights)

Does anyone have any experience with theses internal UV, do they work, are they replaceable?

I plan a similar lifestock setup as before with a couple fish inlcuding a marroon and a few mushrooms and zoas.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

I'm looking forward to being able to share and learn from all of you:)

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

My uncle,who just finish cycling his nano,had a maroon too,But after few minutes of being in the tank,,It is like it is gonna die.It was resting on the sand bed and breathing heavily...He had no chiller or protein skimmer...But I also don't know what caused its demise.And if you want to on air con for half the day,Then what about the other half?I think temperatures will fluctuate...

steak pls

• 3 weeks later...

I think if u are gonna keep clown, mushroom and zoa... Temp shldnt b an issue, unless if ur room gets really hot or the tanks gonna be under the sun! If thats the case, invest on a chiller... A stable and cooler tank gives u more options of coral and fishes. I have two boys, one 6 and the other 1.5, occasionally the younger one will try to press the chiller buttons... Other than that its safe for the kids... Try not to get an all in one system, ime, it gives u little room to upgrade or change equipments on the future. If space and budget is not an issue, Get a proper tank with an overflow and sump tank... This will save u time, money and heartache.. As for UV, its supposedly makes ur water clearer and kills pathogens... For me it doest make a difference in the 6months period that i had it on, so its now sitting in my storeroom... And yes, u can replace the bulb.

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

• SRC Member

Hmmm you can try red sea's 28gallon nano or the bigger one.:) hmmm if you're planning on UV, why not use the money to get a RO/ Di unit?:) it does help clear the water in terms of free floating stuff in the water column but pathogens or baddies on surface of live rocks and all are not removed as what i've read about. If you keep the door/ windows closed, temp should be stable or use a chiller in a cabinet with those child safety lock from ikea if there's any worries?:) hope to see your tank soon!:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"