Need advise on tank equipment setup.

Nickel

• SRC Member

Hi all, I am thinking of getting a bare (no overflow, sump, etc., just a bare tank) 2ft cube tank of glass 10mm to setup a marine tank.

I would appreciate advise on what equipment, effective brands/model, etc., to use for:

1) Filtration (eg. canister?)

2) Skimmer (eg. hangon type?)

3) Lightset (eg. T5?)

4) Chiller

5) any other equipment needed.

Space and cost may be a strong consideration/prohibition for different options, but effectiveness is still key to a successful tank.

I intent to start with corals like zoas, hammers, mushies, pratas, etc., with subsequent graduation to SPS and clams.

Thank you for comments and advises.

pay peanuts get monkeys. invest in items that are good and lasting. they maybe alil costly at first, because you are going to buy all of them around the same period. but, it will definitely fulfill your wish to keep those livestocks happily.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

1) Filtration (eg. canister?) - canister type not recommended as most are just nitrate builders

2) Skimmer (eg. hangon type?) - have good reviews of mce600 (most commonly sold 2nd hand hangon skimmer)

3) Lightset (eg. T5?) - t5 proven track record, can go for de-lightings or ati

4) Chiller - artica is like the best but most ex, resun cl650 is the most common 2nd hand product that most people are using.

5) any other equipment needed. - there are tonsss, depends on how u gonna want to maintain ur tank in the end (DI unit is the 1st step i believe)

• SRC Member

Thanks for all comments and inputs.

I did some readings and the following was narrowed down:

1. Filtration : Think no need canister. Just a skimmer for now will be good eenough, I think. If need chiller, then mayeb get a canister or a pump then.

2. Skimmer: Read good reviews on Reef Octopus HOB skimmer. Think model BH100 (or BH1000?) will be good enough for a 2ft cube tank?

3. Lightset : Think T5 will be good enough for now as now chiller and not keeping SPS for now. BTW, how many tubes and wattage to cover a 2ft cube tank?

Maybe upgrade to a LED lightset in future when want keep clam and SPS?

4. Chiller : Noted. Will incorporate when needed.

5. Wavemaker: What is recommendation (number of units and brand/model) to sufficiently cover a 2ft cube tank without causing sandstorm? What are reliable quality at reasonable price? I heard of Tunze and sun sun brands.

All others like biopellets, CA reactors......etc, I think no necessary for now. Hope I am correct.

• 2 weeks later...

yes i agree with most of advise above.

since you are only planning and may move to sps and clam later, why not get a tank with sump.

is much easier if you want to add in little equipments in your sump.

If you have a sump , you do not need a canister and you can have more option for skimmers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Yeaa sump really benefited me alot too... Tried sumpless when i started out and had lots of problems. Go for canister filter only if you're hardworking(i assumed i was but apparantly not for my freshwater shrimp set up) at cleaning out the filter weekly. Nitrate factory occurs when all that rubbish build up inside.:) using hs28 1/10hp now with no complains of noise level since its in my room.:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

Try to work out a budget and list down all the equipment you desired to use. For me, I actually list down the items with budgeted costs for all equipment before I execute any of them. My advise is try to get better equipment instead of wasting of money to keep upgrading of equipment.

• SRC Member

I buy full tank set 2nd hand. Then slowly replace those important and useful equipment with better or new after lots of consideration and advice from pple. I save a lot of money getting 2nd hand stuff from bros here.