How to tell between live and dead rock?

Qun77

• SRC Member

hi there,

Been keeping a small marine tank for 3 weeks liao (after 2 weeks of cycling, testing etc) and thankfully the fishes (2 clown fishes) are still alive. Thanks to the wonderful advise i got from this forum :)

Just a question; how do we tell the difference between live and dead rock?

cheers

Qun.

• SRC Member

My rocks are a mixture of live and dead. Very obvious. Dead ones super white. Live ones got colors one. Hoping for the dead rocks to be overgrown with coralline algae soon

Coralline algae is red? last time i bought some, there are pink and red but also brown. so its live of dead?

• SRC Member

wat abt red ones? i heard it is bad?

Red slime on rocks is bad. Purplish encrusting hard thin growth is coralline. Very easy to see the difference.:)

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

Red slime on rocks is bad. Purplish encrusting hard thin growth is coralline. Very easy to see the difference. :)

I am starting to see like red skin like thing attaching. there is pinkish stuff like icing on cake type. There is also like spot of pink. There is now appearing greensih and brownish. faintz

So coraline is good?

So why red slime bad?

• SRC Member

Red slime wil cover your corals over time. And corals will not be able to breath.. Red slim and brownish algae on your rock means water condition already not good. Frequent water change and a good flow will help.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

I am starting to see like red skin like thing attaching. there is pinkish stuff like icing on cake type. There is also like spot of pink. There is now appearing greensih and brownish. faintz

So coraline is good?

So why red slime bad?

To add on to what mini-reefer said, before u start buying stuff to just remove the slime, go back to the source of problems like what may cause these red slime which usually means high nutrient levels, too much waste, overfeed, etc. Test your water regularly. Before it starts to get worst, solve it when its still not serious. No fun when i had that and covered my exotic zoas and killed it cause i thought killing the algae would help...:( dont make the same mistake like i did...:) search up on red slime and cyanobacteria to find ways to stop these.

Fresh fishes and inverts! What's next? To the salty side of marine of course!:)

"Never to part, lest jealous heaven stole our hearts"

• SRC Member

thx all...interesting..but the problem is i am cycling t he tank with no live stock....i see patches of green and brown as well. maybe shd take pic after my biz trip

Reason also mainly becos its still cycling.. if theres no livestock u should turn off the lights. And u should dose some bacteria

. Wait until the tank is stable then u start adding livestocks.

Tank Theme: Mixed Reef with clams

3 feet tank with IOS

Eheim 1262

K3 wavemaker x1

Lightings: T5 actinic blue x4 , T5 white x4

Skimmer: BMQQ

Artica 1/5

Dosing: NA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reefing is sharing. People with rotten mouth is sure a loser for life as expected. When a tomato gets rotten, you can nvr save it.. Throw it away before it infect the good ones.

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

• SRC Member

Reason also mainly becos its still cycling.. if theres no livestock u should turn off the lights. And u should dose some bacteria

. Wait until the tank is stable then u start adding livestocks.

There is no lights as well....now waiting to buy 1ft light. hopefully soon. so far its cycling for 1 wk. so will let it cycle awhile more