Angry Ang Mo's Shallow SPS

brent

Thanks for the hints.

I already tried the Dr. but he doesn't have any stock. I guess I'll just need to be patient, which is a great personal attribute for a reefer. It's good since it will give me some time to get the new tank more stable.

I try to stick with the aquacultured corals if possible. While I would love to instantly have a tank full of beautiful colonies, I feel better about buying aquacultured corals. It's more of a challenge to raise something rather than just keep it alive.

Also, since they have already survived the ups and downs of living in an aquarium, they seem to be more resilient to the inevitable mistakes of a beginning reefer.

I've also heard that Oregon is a reefer mecca. I'll definitely need to visit some reefers next time I go home to visit family.

Mr Angry Ang Mo, please dont get angry....as i now have stock for your Oregan Blue Tort :yahoo:

Contact me for the frag.

Cheers ! :friends:

Treat others the way you wanna be treated...

Mr Angry Ang Mo, please dont get angry....as i now have stock for your Oregan Blue Tort :yahoo: Contact me for the frag.
That's great news my dear dr. Maybe I need to change my title to mildly upset Ang mo? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Reef Controllers

I've been waiting for the 240v version of the Neptune apex controller to come out. After almost 6 months of waiting, it is a complete disappointment. It's over priced 600 GBP compared to 500 USD for the 120v version. That's almost double the price!!

Also, the 240v version is only available from the UK. So, I just decided to bite the bullet and buy a US version. Most of my equipment is dual voltage anyways and I can always use step down converters. I'm also looking at options to utilize relay coils for the higher wattage equipment so I don't need to bother with the converters.

Overall the Apex controller seems pretty sweet. I ordered the Vortech Module, which allows you to change modes and flow intensity in any combination imaginable throughout the day & night.

The Apex also comes standard with the ability to dim 4 different sets of lights. Being able to replicate sunrise and sunset as well as have the intensity peak at noon should be pretty nice. Given that my tank is rimless, adjusting the lights slowly will also hopefully ensure that my fish are less likely to carpet surf.

All of these features will be great, but I really love the remote monitoring as well as the automated decision trees in case of problems. I'll probably also order a couple of water sensors so it will automatically shut off my return pump if the water level in my DT rises too high.

Since I bought a 1/5hp Arctica chiller, I can also keep the Hailea as a backup. If the tank temp rises too high, I will set it up to automatically power on the backup chiller as well as reduce the light intensity.

I'm especially happy to have it for when I go on holiday or travel for work. I just got back from a week away and I hate that stress of worrying if I'm coming home to a disaster.

Since I ordered it from the States, it will probably take a couple of weeks to arrive. That's fine since I need some time to start investigating the programming.

Coral Shopping

Yesterday I managed to make it out to Pasir Ris to do a little bit of coral shopping. I was happy to pick up a couple of nice mini mille colonies. (At least I think they are millies. I really have difficulties distinguishing between milles and prostratas.) I happened to run into Kaijuworld when I was out there and I appreciated his suggestions. I also made it by Iwarna and met Joe. He showed with some of the stuff in the back and I picked up a couple of Bali frags include the nice tricolor valida below. In the back, he has a blue Lokani with red polyps which is gorgeous. If I had more faith in my SPS skills and a very stable tank, I would have gone for it.

Colonies

post-0-0-98591700-1359249436_thumb.jpg

post-0-0-64102700-1359249484_thumb.jpg

Tricolor

post-0-0-15139100-1359249493_thumb.jpg

Nice ... Speechless ...

Thanks!

Time for a FTS!

It will need to wait until I have enough time to clean off all of the diatoms from the glass. :) It's difficult to be patient but considering that that the tank is only 1 month old, an algae bloom is to be expected. I also need to figure out where to put my new additions...

Tonight I picked up my Oregon Tort frag from Dr Cedric. Awesome deep blue color. Hopefully my rookie reefing skills will do it justice. I'm very psyched to have a coral that came all of the way from my home state of Oregon. I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

I also ordered some ice cube coil relays so I can DIY some 110v to 220v relays for my reef controller.

Thanks!

It will need to wait until I have enough time to clean off all of the diatoms from the glass. :) It's difficult to be patient but considering that that the tank is only 1 month old, an algae bloom is to be expected. I also need to figure out where to put my new additions...

Tonight I picked up my Oregon Tort frag from Dr Cedric. Awesome deep blue color. Hopefully my rookie reefing skills will do it justice. I'm very psyched to have a coral that came all of the way from my home state of Oregon. I'll post a photo when I get a chance.

I also ordered some ice cube coil relays so I can DIY some 110v to 220v relays for my reef controller.

It will be dope if you can share some of your electronic DIY skills. I will love to own an Apex Neptune Jr. but the thought of importing from US and transformer part daunts me.

Happy Reefing,

Marc J.

It will be dope if you can share some of your electronic DIY skills. I will love to own an Apex Neptune Jr. but the thought of importing from US and transformer part daunts me.

I just figure it out as I go along. I'll post the design when I'm finished. With regards to importing, I use comGateway and consolidate my marine equipment with baby clothes for my daughter which are much cheaper in the States.

The Oregon Tort is already acclimating. Happy to see a little PE on the first morning. The deep blue color is awesome. I also like this pink and green frag next to it. A beautiful piece I picked up earlier from the dr.

post-21531-13594306926186_thumb.jpg

Speaking of PE, the green milli is super hairy. It seems to be acclimating nicely.

post-21531-13594307982577_thumb.jpg

I'm going to name this hawkfish Darwin after the Darwin Awards for incredibly stupid things to do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_Awards

post-21531-13594309798464_thumb.jpg

Here's an orchid dottyback that I picked up a couple of weeks ago after my basslet disappeared:

post-21531-0-14501100-1359472415_thumb.j

I also scored a helfichi at the same time:

post-21531-0-16737600-1359472481_thumb.j

I seem to have a purple fish theme going on...

• Like 1

Hey bros. I finally got a chance to take some FTS. I can't say that I'm completed satisfied with my aquascape but I really don't know what to do about it. I guess that I'll just let it chill for a while until I get some inspiration.
The pictures are quite biased towards magenta. I think that this is because the white balance correction takes out a lot of the blue, which then leaves the light from the violet LEDs.
img3253e.jpg
img3250m.jpg
img3240ys.jpg
BTW, any ideas on how to keep the sand from being blown away by my MP40?

Hey bros. I finally got a chance to take some FTS. I can't say that I'm completed satisfied with my aquascape but I really don't know what to do about it. I guess that I'll just let it chill for a while until I get some inspiration.

The pictures are quite biased towards magenta. I think that this is because the white balance correction takes out a lot of the blue, which then leaves the light from the violet LEDs.

img3253e.jpg

img3250m.jpg

img3240ys.jpg

BTW, any ideas on how to keep the sand from being blown away by my MP40?

Your water looks very clean.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

My tank Ca Rating ? and Kh Rating ?

Ca about 430 (I try to match it to the balanced level for my Kh which is 425 - 435)

Kh varies between 9 - 10.5

I've had to start increasing my dosing significantly because CA/Kh uptake has really increased.

MP40 might be a little too powerful for a shallow tank. Have you tried MP10 at full blast instead? Having 2x MP10s, one on each end, might be a better option.

You are definitely right on bro. At 50% the MP40 is still too powerful. Even if I didn't have the sand, it would blast the corals if I turned it up. In retrospect, I should have gone for 2 x MP10s.

For now, I have added a couple of Koralia Nanos to keep debris moving. I plan to get a MP10w in the next week or so for the opposite side. Then I will just run the MP40 at slow speed & sync the two powerheads.

This Ang Moh's tank has so much potential. Cant wait to see the frags sprout into mini colonies. Then we will have a very colourful reef tank and the Ang Moh will be angry no more.

Reef hard...its a long long road but a very enjoyable journey .

cheers

bigmike

Thanks bro

I'm optimistic. Overall I've been quite happy with the growth in my other tank from the frags I got in September last year (5 months ago).

Oct 2012 Pink Stylo

post-21531-0-62466100-1360134362.jpg

Jan 2013 Pink Stylo

post-21531-0-84652900-1360134413_thumb.j

Oct 2012 Yellow BN

post-21531-0-08258000-1360134440_thumb.j

Feb 2013 Yellow BN

post-21531-0-60519400-1360134459_thumb.j

Sept 2012 Pink BN

post-21531-0-77247500-1360134475_thumb.j

Feb 2013 Pink BN

post-21531-0-67887700-1360134522_thumb.j

Sept 2012 Purple Valida

post-21531-0-68635200-1360134619_thumb.j

Feb 2013 Purple Valida

post-21531-0-72012000-1360134645_thumb.j

Bro nice to see the BN frag growing so well in ur tank.

Thanks bro. I think the growth speaks volumes of the benefits of getting frags from fellow local reefers.

Most of the wild small colonies I've bought over the months have little to no growth and are browned out. Some of the others have STNed. The only issues I've had with local frags are related to parasites that most likely came from live rock. They've managed to survive the inevitable swings in parameters with no permanent damage.

• Like 1