4mm for my 1ft cube tank, Dangerous?

• SRC Member

As above, my tank is a 31x31x36cm front curve tank.. which i have been using for freshwater.. want to use this to convert to marine.. i know its abit thin but if i put eggcrates in the tank at the bottom to evenly distrubite the weight of the LR and also put a styrofoam base below the tank. will it be ok?

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

No one can say for sure that it will work or not. It depends on the build quality and reputation of the tank maker. For example, many have said that glass thickness should be at least 6mm and above for nano tanks, but many have used ADA tanks with success and glass thickness is only 5mm.

It is all about calculated risk, and if I were you, I would go for peace of mind by going for something that is proven to work. 4mm is really pushing the limits.

• SRC Member

Thanks for your help! i bought a measuring caliper today and it appears that my tank is 5mm instead. should be ok to use since its 5mm.. i sourced for others 1ft cube and its 5mm too.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :