Back up Power supplies

I love angel

I think can use computer UPS. The cost will range from $100+ upwards, depending on capacity. Higher capacity will last longer.

Also, most UPS only have a lifespan of about 3-4yrs before losing effectiveness.

In Singapore, very unlikely to have power outage. But I guess, one can never be too careful :)

• SRC Member

I've thought of DIYing my own backup power supply for my Vortechs since the EcoTech one is so expensive

here you go..... extracted from a thread in bostonreefers......

and the parts.....

12vdc/18amp sealed lead acid battery from Royal Battery, Malden

Werker 12vdc/1000ma charger with indicator from Batteries Plus

Radio Shack #270-1238 5x20mm fuse holder

Radio Shack #270-1050 5x20mm 1.5amp fuse (4 pack)

Radio Shack #274-1571 1.3mm, size H DC power plug

all these parts you can get from Sim Lim Tower

here you go..... extracted from a thread in bostonreefers......

diydiagram.jpg

and the parts.....

12vdc/18amp sealed lead acid battery from Royal Battery, Malden

Werker 12vdc/1000ma charger with indicator from Batteries Plus

Radio Shack #270-1238 5x20mm fuse holder

Radio Shack #270-1050 5x20mm 1.5amp fuse (4 pack)

Radio Shack #274-1571 1.3mm, size H DC power plug

all these parts you can get from Sim Lim Tower

Thanks. I was thinking of doing something similar. It would also work to power my controller. BTW, how often are there power outages in SG?

• SRC Member

Thanks. I was thinking of doing something similar. It would also work to power my controller. BTW, how often are there power outages in SG?

hardly actually and if it does usually less than an hour... this battery backup is more likely to serve you in the event that there is a power trip in your home.

It sounds like money would be better spent on a battery backup for the reef controller and an sms modem.

Or just a standard computer UPS backing up the reef controller and networking gear. You could probably just plug an adapter from the UPS to the Vortech backup power port as well to buy you a little bit more time

I actually have a APC UPS about 300W or 500VA. I connected it to the return pump with a power rating of about 50W. Base on the website, it can power for about 1 hour only. So it cannot last the 8 hours. I am thinking of changing the connection to the wave maker which have lower power rating or to get a high power UPS. I donnot know the best practices and how long to last.

I want the UPS to last for about 6 hours to be safe and that means I need to reconsider what is the equipment connected to the UPS and what UPS power rating to buy the next time when I have the budget to get.

Any suggestions from someone used the UPS before and what equipment you connect.