PH level of 7.8 normal?

arcanehacker

• SRC Member

My tank's PH level is always constant 7.8+. Is it normal of a marine tank?

I've heard of reefers with their water's PH of 8. Also, those marine buffer additives which promises of 8.2.

So what should my PH level be at? Should I be using PH buffer additives?

BTW I have basically a FOWLR tank with one jewel coral.. :P

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

but why? I never use any additives now. Should I be using them to up the ph level? Is it a must?

Anyway my jewel coral is also fine with that PH 7.2 level.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

I get a PH of 7.8 only in the mornings (just before lights on). Highest daily is about 8.25 (when lights are on at the peak of photosynthesis).

I use a big calcium reactor so that's responsible for the low PH. It's the CO2.

In your case, your FOWLR tank probably has a high bioload, contributing acids as a result of metabolic waste decomposition.

Get your PH up with Marine Buffer. You don't need Reef Buffer (which doesn't have borates).

For a marine tank... 7.8 to 8.5 is acceptable.

For long term stability, esp. a reef tank, a PH around 8.2 is best.

• SRC Member
I get a PH of 7.8 only in the mornings. Highest daily is about 8.2.

I use a big calcium reactor so that's responsible for the low PH. It's the CO2.

In your case, your FOWLR tank probably has a high bioload, contributing acids as a result of metabolic waste decomposition.

Get your PH up with Marine Buffer. You don't need Reef Buffer (which doesn't have borates).

For a marine tank... 7.8 to 8.5 is acceptable.

For long term stability, esp. a reef tank, a PH around 8.2 is best.

You can recommend a brand for marine buffer? Someone here said the seachem one doesn't work on his tank.

• SRC Member
but why? I never use any additives now. Should I be using them to up the ph level? Is it a must?

Anyway my jewel coral is also fine with that PH 7.2 level.

Try using kalkwasser to raise PH to 8.3

Dosage:

Add 1 teaspoon to 2 liters of freshwater and use only the clear solution from the mixture to add into your tank. Amount to dose may vary according to your tank’s calcium demand. Ideal calcium and alkalinity levels should be maintained at 420ppm and 8 to 12 dKH respectively.

Use dripping method to raise PH gradually to prevent PH shock.

Cheer :D

• SRC Member
mayb AT can consider a double chamber to remove excessive co2? :off:

whats that?

• SRC Member

Try using kalkwasser to raise PH to 8.3

Dosage:

Add 1 teaspoon to 2 liters of freshwater and use only the clear solution from the mixture to add into your tank. Amount to dose may vary according to your tank’s calcium demand. Ideal calcium and alkalinity levels should be maintained at 420ppm and 8 to 12 dKH respectively.

Use dripping method to raise PH gradually to prevent PH shock.

Cheer :D

that means I need another equipment to do the drip? Ahhh.. I want to minimize equipments coz my tank is in the room.. any other way?

Rectify pH problems by:

1. Do at least a 10% water change.

2. Bring your salinity and temperature to the recommended range.

3. Bring your cal and alk to the recommended range.

Read this now!

• SRC Member

dripping method doesnt need equipment as ur tank so small. just a bottle, a tube and a small plastic valve to adjust dripping rate.

that wont help fast enough. do according to AT's as above is better and faster

• SRC Member
dripping method doesnt need equipment as ur tank so small. just a bottle, a tube and a small plastic valve to adjust dripping rate.

that wont help fast enough. do according to AT's as above is better and faster

what valve? Any pic to show?

• SRC Member
Rectify pH problems by:

1. Do at least a 10% water change.

2. Bring your salinity and temperature to the recommended range.

3. Bring your cal and alk to the recommended range.

Read this now!

My PH really way low now.. :(

Did 1/3 water change yesterday. PH was 8.2 for a while. Then it dropped to 8.1+ in a few hours. (ok maybe its because water never mix properly in tank initially).

Salinity and temp are 1.022 and 28+ degrees respectively.

Used Reefez Kalk drip method also. But drip really slow.

This morning. PH low again at 7.7+ :(

Is there something to do with the oxygen level in my tank?

• SRC Member

not sure whether this works for u... recommended by Henry from ML. pour Reef Builder (which does not affect ph much) directly into sump. suspect yr kh is low. once kh is ok, ph will be okie too.

BUT, do it slowly.. although i tried it previously but to be safe, do it slow and steady ;)

• Sponsor

My PH really way low now.. :(

Did 1/3 water change yesterday. PH was 8.2 for a while. Then it dropped to 8.1+ in a few hours. (ok maybe its because water never mix properly in tank initially).

Salinity and temp are 1.022 and 28+ degrees respectively.

Used Reefez Kalk drip method also. But drip really slow.

This morning. PH low again at 7.7+ :(

Is there something to do with the oxygen level in my tank?

PH levels fluctuates throughout the day and falls especially at night. If you test your PH in the morning, it will most probably be lower and it will rise steadily through the day and usually peak a few hours into your photoperiod.

Like AT said, if it is constantly reading between the range stated, should be ok.

• SRC Member
not sure whether this works for u... recommended by Henry from ML. pour Reef Builder (which does not affect ph much) directly into sump. suspect yr kh is low. once kh is ok, ph will be okie too.

BUT, do it slowly.. although i tried it previously but to be safe, do it slow and steady ;)

so I have to raise kh right?.. I'm dripping Reefez kalkwasser. Supposed to raise kh too. But I do it very very slowly. Dunno how fast to drip, scared wait ph shock.. ;)

• SRC Member

u need to test yr kh level 1st to conclude that it may be the cause. if after all these effort, something is still wrong, mean yr water ionic not balanced ;) water change is the only way...

kalk adds both calcium and kh slowly in equal amt but u may need a boost to yr kh now.

• SRC Member
u need to test yr kh level 1st to conclude that it may be the cause. if after all these effort, something is still wrong, mean yr water ionic not balanced ;) water change is the only way...

kalk adds both calcium and kh slowly in equal amt but u may need a boost to yr kh now.

water change again? .. I already change 1/3 water yesterday.. can't be water ionic imbalance..