Chiller & Evaporation

• SRC Member

Hi,

Hope someone can provide some advise.

We all know that the more water surface area there is, the more evaporation will happen.

For sake of discussion, lets say 500ml of water is evaporated each day in this tank.

If a fan was used to cool the tank water temperature, the wind will cause even more evaporation. Let say 1000ml each day.

Question is, how does a chiller help reduce the evaporation. Since the water surface area is the same, won't evaporation be still 500ml per day?

I think the purpose of the chiller isn't to help reduce evaporation in the first place. and I suppose the lower the temperature, the lesser the evaporation. temperature of bigger range apart can feel the difference more significantly, eg; 70 degree and 20 degree. so, to counter evaporation, we have the auto top up system. that's all I know, might be wrong.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• SRC Member

Hmm.. I think chiller doesn't reduce evaporation.. It's just that people choose chiller over fan is because fan will cause additional evaporation apart from the normal evaporation.. I hope u get what I mean.. Haha.. Anyway for the chiller.. It's to maintain lower tank water as lower temperature means higher oxygen level.. I might be wrong.. Seniors please correct me if I'm wrong! Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

• Like 1

the purpose of a chiller is to chill, not to reduce evaporation. But if you really compare chiller and fan, of course a fan will have much high evaporation rate.. hence when you compare both a chiller and a fan, a chiller has much lesser evaporation than a fan, yet still able to chill the water..

Hi folks, i am using both chiller and fan. I notice that the evaporation is much higher than just chiller alone. But on the bright side, the fan helps to cool & maintain the tank temperture, hence reduce the frequency of the chiller kick-in. One way i reduce the electric usage but spent more on distilled water.

My tank setting:
Size : 48" x 24" x 24"
Return pump: 1 x Vectra S2, 1 x Eheim 1264
Skimmer: Skimz DC skimmer SV203
Lighting : Maxspect Razor R420R 160W
Chiller : 1hp drop coil compressor
Wave maker : 2 x Nero 5 , 1 x Tunze 6055

Top up : Tunze Osmolator Universal 3155