Brooklynella on my clownfish.

• SRC Member

Hey guys, i just bought a pair of clown for my 34L tank yesterday and today i noticed one of them developing brookylnella.. with those white mucus and fungus like slime on the body.

i understand formalin should be used to treat them.. where can i find formalin in singapore? i read that its not readily available..

And another question is, right now my other clown is still looking healthy.. how do i ensure he does not have brooklynella? and i read that after a fish suffered from this disease, it is recommanded that no other fish is added for the next 6 - 8 weeks so that the parasite can die off. is this true?

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

My guess is you need to treat both of them at the same time to be sure. Not sure where u can get formalin but quinine would also help against brooks. Feed Dr G's food if they're still feeding?

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Before i could source for a medication, the clown that is infected died this morning.. sigh... will freshwater dip with methlyn blue help prevent the smaller clown from brooklynella?

Good morning to you bro, based on my experience with clownfishes last time,the moment you found out that your clown is infected with brook, immediately catch it out and give it a freshwater bath/dip. That will help in reducing/stop the slime from appearing again. DO TAKE NOTE THAT CLOWNFISHES CANT TOLERATE BEING IN LOW SALINITY WATER OR FRESHWATER FOR TOO LONG. You can try this method in future bro. Hopefully it does help!

Tank and Equipments Used:-

Tank Size: 3x1.5x2

Return Pump: Eheim 1260

Lighting: DE 36 Inch T5 Retrofit 6 x 39 Watts | 5 ATI Blue Plus & 1 ATI Special Blue.

Wavemaker: 1x WP-40 | 1x SUNSUN 5000ltr/hr

Skimmer: BUBBLE MAGUS C7

Skimz ideas FR: Running ROWAPHOS (FEEDER PUMP: RESUN 1000)

Enductor FR: Running NP Biopellet (FEEDER PUMP: AQUABEE 1000)

Chaeto in sump

~ Watching my tank matures and progressing day by day , gives me great satisfactory

Cheers!

All the best to you bro! Goodluck!

Lighting: DE 36 Inch T5 Retrofit 6 x 39 Watts | 5 ATI Blue Plus & 1 ATI Special Blue.

Chaeto in sump

~ Watching my tank matures and progressing day by day , gives me great satisfactory

Cheers!

Cheers!!

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Me never success to cure brook from my reefing ... formalin dip about 40~50mins until brook detach from fish body but at the same time the skin of fish also will have little damage ... after 1~2 days the brook coming back but another dip sure kill the fish ... brook not only happen on clownfish but also on angel fish from my experience ...

Can try raising the kH if this occur. This is what ahbeng taught me la. Kinda works for me..

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Hope that helps bro.

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

• SRC Member

should i just transfer my clown to a quarantine tank (same water as main tank) with a pump running inside and leave it there to treat with interpet no.7 for a week? or should i do freshwater dip with interpet no.7 ?

Try to just dip it with freshwater first, then if it still continues to worsen, Use the medication.

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

base on my experience, if the clown is already weakened, removing it and putting it to another pail or tank will just kill it for sure.. It wouldnt last more than 3 days..

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

ALL THE BEST BRO!

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

• SRC Member

Try to just dip it with freshwater first, then if it still continues to worsen, Use the medication.

i read that dipping in freshwater will not cure brook but only slow it's infection rate.. and dipping a weak fish in freshwater can really stress it really badly.

base on my experience, if the clown is already weakened, removing it and putting it to another pail or tank will just kill it for sure.. It wouldnt last more than 3 days..

i removed it into another 8L tank with 50% tank water, 50% newly mixed water (same pH and SG as tank water) and dose the correct dosage of interpet no.7.

after half a day, i noticed my clown's coloration improved (previously was getting more and more pale) and it's slime seems to be reducing..

Of course it is bad for the fish to be transferred out but i guess thats the best i can do for it now.

Glad to hear that your little clown is progressing...

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

Congrats bro!

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!

CHEERS!

Chaeto in sump

Cheers!