clown sick after water change

hi, i'm new to marine fish. Keeping fake clowns in my 1.5 feet tank which was filled with NSW. They were very active and healthy til I did a 40% water change, the next day,all my clowns are swimming at the surface.Body and fins have tiny white dust.

Any advise as why is this happening? Water change using salt mix with declorinated tap water. Thanks

• Like 1

• SRC Member

what was the SG in the NSW? and what was the SG in the salt mix? doing 40% which is relatively large, if the SG is different, the clowns may not be able to take it..

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

clowns are hardy,

give them a few days and they should be fine.

just note the parameters of the new water and tank water in future.

The spirit of sharing...

always remember forum is like its name - forum

Singapore Reef Club – We are an online discussion community which aim to provide quality information about setting up and keeping a marine reef aquarium. By joining us as a members, you will be able to learn and share your experience in this hobby and at the same time making some friends here !! We hope by educating the public about the marine hobby, we will be able to create greater awareness of the fragility of our coral reefs as well as loving each and every living fish / corals we purchase as a responsible reefer.

• 4 months later...

Advisable to use DI water also. Make some garlic juice or garlic guard, soak your feed with it and feed the fish. Help to increase your fish immunity.

Completely agree with you about this matter..

• SRC Member

Seems to be parasites.

Keep them stress free is most important.

Then have good food and hopefully they will gain strength to fight the parasites. But they will become carrier and any new fish may get infected.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• SRC Member
hi, what is the main difference/advantage between NSW and salt mix? other than SG
Nsw tend to have lower water perimeter compared to salt mix. Salt mix confirm free from disease. Filling up a big tank, nsw will be much cheaper. From my exp, nsw used to cycle tank is faster n more stable.

• SRC Member

Could it be ich parasites ? I had a sailfin tang , powderblue tang , and also a maroon clown die after developing what looked like tiny white specks of dust too. They all caught it one after another . I added them into the tank one after another . Horrible stuff . I dare not add any more fish anymore !