White specks in the water

km_sg

Hello,

I have recently set up a nano-tank and is currently cycling. The wavemaker pump is throwing out white specks in the water every cycle. The whole tank is now full of specks floating in the water. Could it be because of the ceramic rings in the filtration setup. Any ideas on how to get them removed. I have not set up a skimmer. Will that help ?

Thanks!

• SRC Member

Did you rinse the ceramic rings before putting into the system?

Anyway, if it is some sort of solid specks, then place a filter/wool on the return path to catch these specks. It could take a while before all is clear.

Or it could just be micro burbles generated from the pump.

Have added an image. The floating specks seem solid. I have been adding microbacter 7 every day for one week now according to the dosage mentioned on the bottle. Could this be a bacterial bloom ?

post-22708-0-71057500-1366889930_thumb.j

• SRC Member

Yes bro.. Try to use while filter wool and filter out the white specks.. If they're not micro bubbles.. I believe using white wool will clear your water in a few hours.. And do replace the wool once the water is cleared.<br />

Hello, I have recently set up a nano-tank and is currently cycling. The wavemaker pump is throwing out white specks in the water every cycle. The whole tank is now full of specks floating in the water. Could it be because of the ceramic rings in the filtration setup. Any ideas on how to get them removed. I have not set up a skimmer. Will that help ? Thanks!
Are you using salt mix?

Agree with DeadmanZ, the black sponge is too porous and may not trap the white particles from your tank.

White particles are common in new set-up so not to worry.

If you intend to increase the effectiveness in removing the white particles, your may want to try the below product which can be bought from several sponsor in our forum.

It's Clear (6 oz) - $25
It’s Clear™ is a natural, “reef safe” water treatment for removal of suspended organic particles including protozoan stages of oodinium and cryptocaryan. Useful in controlling microalgae and bacterial blooms. Restores brightness and clarity to the cloudiest saltwater or freshwater. Will not damage filters or equipment. Not a bacteria based product. This is a patented cationic polyelectrolyte made from a deacetylated form of chitin called chitosan which is derived from crustacean shells. This positive charge, combined with a high molecular weight and high charge density makes it ideal for flocculating organic turbidity. It’s Clear is nontoxic to fish, mammals and aquatic plants when used as instructed. This is a clear viscus solution that will not discolor aquarium water. Does not create a gummy or gelatinous mat on filter beds like alum sulfate. Filters do not have to be turned off and water exchanges are not required after treatment. A six ounce bottle will treat up to 4000 gallons based on full dose levels. Excellent shelf life.
Chitosan has been safely used in public aquaria like Sea World Orlando, Sea World California, Oregon State Aquarium & Minnesota Zoo.

"Reefs, like forests, will only be protected in long term if they are appreciated"
Dr. J.E.N. Veron
Australian Institute of Marine Science

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F
Please visit us here: http://www.facebook....uaristSocietySG
Facebook Group: http://www.facebook....gid=34281892381