Waste food

• SRC Member

Hi guys, have been feeding the fishes and corals too much, just wondering what creatures other than hermit crabs (have 2 fat ones liao) will help to clear up those unfinished food well?

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member
Hi guys, have been feeding the fishes and corals too much, just wondering what creatures other than hermit crabs (have 2 fat ones liao) will help to clear up those unfinished food well?

James

shrimps are the best.. esp fire shrimps..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

shrimps are the best.. esp fire shrimps..

thanks bro! btw seen any fire shimps lately anywhere?

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

• SRC Member

thanks bro! btw seen any fire shimps lately anywhere?

dun really see these around though.. think gotta wait for new shipments.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

Lysmata amboinensis (common skunk or cleaner shrimp) works better.

I find the blood shrimp too shy compared to the former. They have the tendency to hide most of the time

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Lysmata amboinensis (common skunk or cleaner shrimp) works better.

I find the blood shrimp too shy compared to the former. They have the tendency to hide most of the time

shy? .. you should see mine man .. I hand feed my fire shrimp.. not afraid of me.. once I dump food in the tank. it will quickily run out snatching everything..

I fact it walks over anything in my tank (esp during feeding), even my lion if its blocking his way. :lol:

then again mine quite big.. maybe thats why..

• SRC Member

shy? .. you should see mine man .. I hand feed my fire shrimp.. not afraid of me.. once I dump food in the tank. it will quickily run out snatching everything..

I fact it walks over anything in my tank (esp during feeding), even my lion if its blocking his way. :lol:

then again mine quite big.. maybe thats why..

yo arcane bro, blenny u bought yesterday doing good?

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

yo arcane bro, blenny u bought yesterday doing good?

yah man.. like you said.. this morning couldn't find it.. then I realised the sand is moving.. heheh.. hiding under the sandbed with his eye sticking out.. I also saw it eating from sand.. must be extrating algae from sand.. :lol:

• SRC Member
I have four of them... Wanna take two out of the tank liao.. as they getting too greedy.... and also I reckon I have too many shrimps there.... If you want.. let me know.. and when I manage to get them out I will let you know... but self collect hor.... will be going @$15 a piece... quite big liao....

Hi Benz

I am interested in your blood shrimps. If you do manage to catch them , please keep me in mind.

• SRC Member

yah man.. like you said.. this morning couldn't find it.. then I realised the sand is moving.. heheh.. hiding under the sandbed with his eye sticking out.. I also saw it eating from sand.. must be extrating algae from sand.. :lol:

yup, interesting to look at, cute too. Eat sand den spit out. haha.. all da best in keeping it!

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

Extract from wetwebmedia:

Saron shrimp: reef safe? Nope 1/30/04

Hi! I am planning to get a Saron shrimp and I checked your website for more info on Saron shrimps, but I couldn't find anything that says whether they are reef-safe or not, as I've received mixed opinions on them. So, may I know whether I could keep this shrimp in a reef-setting without corals getting pestered.

Andrew Lee

<an easy one, mate... Saron shrimp are categorically un-safe with benthic invertebrates. They are generally opportunistic and commonly attack bivalves (including Tridacnid clams), harass other bottom dwelling fishes and invertebrates. And frankly are opportunistic scavengers/bullies. Anthony>

• Sponsor

Thanks pacificbetta for pointing out the article. Well... from personal experience, Saron shrimps that I have kept never disturbed any inverts. If kept with sufficient leftovers or rather food, they should co-exist peacefully. I believe they will attck only if very hungry or if the clam is dying and it knows that! My guppies reap at each others' tails too when I forgot to feed them for two days! :unsure: In general, all crustaceans are opportunistic, I have seen Skunks disturbing zoanthids and dancing camel shrimps reaping the guts out of Tridacnids and flame scallops, which normally happens when the animal is dying and the adductor muscles relax and can't shut the door....

Was trying to create awareness for some often overlooked creatures. The best way to learn about an animal's behaviour is to observe and document....the fact that I have sold some sarons meant that hobbyists are learning and trying them out. Will appreciate any feedback on this little critter :lol:

Always Learning, Never Quiting. :P

• SRC Member

I m surprised no one ever mentions the goatfish.

Fantastic bottom leftovers cleaner. Fast n efficient.

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :

• SRC Member

but not cute enough to be additions in our tanks.. at least thats for what I think.. :P

• SRC Member

yep true .... no looks......

Main Tank : 48 inch by 36 inch by 28 inch (2 sides starphire glass)
Sump Tank :
Return Pump :
Chiller : Starmax Compressor 1 HP Drop coil
Chiller Return Pump
Protein Skimmer :
Wave Maker :
Fluidised Reactor :