Help needed. I think got current leak

• SRC Member

Anyone has a amp meter I could borrow?. I think I got a leak. Can't seem to pinpoint it. Coz after a while it just doesn't shock me. SMS me at 96639o88

No need for multimeter, you can use a test pen. There is a thread buried in the DIY forum on how to make a earth probe by connecting a titanium bicycle spoke to the earth slot of a 3 pin plug.

Walk into any DIY hardware store and ask for a test pen, it is cheap. It looks like a flat head screw driver with a bulb in the handle. Touch the end of the handle and quick dip into your sump, if it lights up, you have a bad equipment, easy to isolate.

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.

• SRC Member

No need for multimeter, you can use a test pen. There is a thread buried in the DIY forum on how to make a earth probe by connecting a titanium bicycle spoke to the earth slot of a 3 pin plug.

Walk into any DIY hardware store and ask for a test pen, it is cheap. It looks like a flat head screw driver with a bulb in the handle. Touch the end of the handle and quick dip into your sump, if it lights up, you have a bad equipment, easy to isolate.

Awesome. Thanks bro. I was thinking the same thing by using a test pen. Will read up on earthing it

• SRC Member

I checked with a test pen. There is no current leak. Weird. Does anyone has that tingly feeling when they put their hand into the water. Could it be static?

• SRC Member

The stray current is quite common (as far as I know) in aquarium. Most of us has many internal pumps / wave maker in the tank. Some pumps might leak slightly. I had this problem and I use a earthing or grounding probe in all my tanks. No more issue now.

• SRC Member

I recall Madpetz carries this product where u can plug one end to wall plug and the other to our tank's water. To direct any current away into the earth terminal... can try asking if they still sells it. Best to find the root of the problem first.

2 Feet Tank: (Decom Feb 2015)
-Lightings : Pharos LED light 90W with wireless controller
-Chiller : Arctica 1/10HP with H2Ocean Flow Pump 2000

-Wavemaker : Vortech MP10ES
-Skimmer : Bubble Magus NAC 3.5

-Return Pump : Eheim Compact 3000
-Reactor – TLF150 (Mod) with NP Biopellet
-Reactor – TLF150 with Rowaphos

Try to test when ur chiller on

<br /><br />Agree. The chiller would be my first suspect, especially if it comes with a 2 pin plug (without earth).

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

• SRC Member

<br /><br />Agree. The chiller would be my first suspect, especially if it comes with a 2 pin plug (without earth).

Interesting. Should I change it to 3 pin?

Interesting. Should I change it to 3 pin?

You should if you can.

If your plug looks similar to the one below:

post-2395-0-61075000-1368154694_thumb.pn

You can buy an adaptor that has the earth contact. Should be readily available in DIY stores.

Specs

Return pump: 2 x Eheim 1260 (with 1 pumped to chiller before returning to main)
Chiller: Hailea HC-500A (1/2 hp)
Skimmer: Deltec SC2060
Lightings: 8 x 24W ATI Sunpower T5 fixture
Wavemakers: Vortech MP40, MP10, Tunze nanostream 6045
Additives: TLF C-balance (2 parts Ca and Alk) via Kamoer 3 channel dosing pump; Polyp-lab Reef Resh; FM color elements

Will try this after I replace all adaptors. Just to be safe

Bro, if the equipment doesn't come with a 3rd grounding wire, no use in changing their plugs. The common denominator of the aquarium system where equipment comes in contact with is the salt water. So just ground the water.

To ground it, you want to connect a wire from your saltwater to the top slot (ground) of your 3 pin wall socket.

Titanium is saltwater safe, copper wire is not. Titanium bicycle wheel spoke is easily available. Just buy one short spoke from higher end bike shops. Connect that to a copper wire (solder or clip or something), then connect the wire to the earth pin of a new 3 pin plug. Plug that into your wall socket. Done.

However, if Ah Beng's thingy is saltwater safe, just use that. It works the same, ground the saltwater.

Materialism :- He who dies with the most toys, wins.