silicon poisoning

• SRC Member

i made a drip from a plastic containder and a small drip, sealed it with silicon and tried last nite....

the next day i saw that my silicon is not cured properly (not fully dried). my god....that mean my tank is now filled with silicon chemical....luckily no LS in my tank coz still running my ANN cycle....

my query is, after running the ANN cycle (another 3weeks), can i make a 100% water change instead of the recommended 50% water change? coz i want to get rid of any possible silicon chemical. (best if someone can confirm that the silicon chemical will disappear naturally.) will there be any problems? if required then i'll run the new water for another few weeks loh... from wat i understand, the bacteria grows on the LR and in the DSB, but the water leh?? any suggestion?

• SRC Member

nothing can remove the toxics from silicon. best to change 100% water.

If u have LR, then it is bad. LR will absorb certain % of the toxics.

Silicon dries at least 24 hrs for a quite thin layer and for a heavyily thick one needs few days. If u dont smell the silicon anymore, that means the silicon is 100% cured dried.

• SRC Member

Don't worry about the silicone. Silicone is not water soluble. Only the acetate and silicates are soluble but they aren't harmful in small quantities. Geo liquid won't help as it is just a flocculant. If you are really worried, using carbon or polyfilter and water change will make more sense.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

i made a drip from a plastic containder and a small drip, sealed it with silicon and tried last nite....

the next day i saw that my silicon is not cured properly (not fully dried).

- i also had the experience with silicon not drying between plastic-to-plastics. eventually, i abondoned my task. maybe silicon is not the right material to be used for plastics.

- i used silicon to mend my glass tank and it dry within 5~10 mins. Overnight, and i found it totally cured, safe to use again without any casulty of livestock.