ANN cycle complete?

• SRC Member

hey bro, i've ran my ANN cycle for merely 1week in my 3 ft tank with 5inch DBS and about 20kg of LR. all the sand and LR are bought second hand which means they should be filled with lotsa bacteria. i put a market prawn into the water to rot. since last sat, the ammonia alert never went past ALARM before. only reached ALARM and stayed there since Day 1. there are 4 stages of the ammonia alert. 1)SAFE 2)ALERT 3)ALARM 4)TOXIC

last nite, the ammonia alert has drop to the safe zone liao...does that mean i can start putting in my LS? but 1week seems v short rite? then again, not forgetting my sand and rocks(all 2nd hand) are already filled with bacteria liao.

maybe shall buy some test kit for ammonia and nitrite, i already have the one for nitrate.

wat about PH and KH, really necessary?

and wat other important water parameters should i take notice?

after testing the water parameters, i will do a 50% water change as recommended by most. then test my parameters again. sound good? any advise?

• SRC Member

After ammonia you still need to wait for nitrite to spike and then go down lah.. please read up more..

You might not need the test kit for ammonia since you got that ammonia alert thingy but you still need nitrite and nitrate test kits..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Not ANN cycle. it's the nitrogen cycle. Amonia dropping does not means your cycles is complete. You need to get NO2 test kit. check your NO2 level. It will go up, peak and drop to zero. while your NO3 will start rising. Only when you NH3/4 and NO2 has drop to zero and stay thet is your cycle is complete.

Stock up slowly. Your tank will have to adapt to changes in bioload and you don't want your livestock to suffer drops in water quality as the bacteria tries to cope.