advice needed to add live sand

bros,

Im starting a new tank, and planning to put live sand in it.

i was wondering if i should pour in freshwater and mix the salt in the tank, after then put the live sand in.

but my concern will be that the water will be very cloudy.
i wouldnt want to pour the sand in first and mix the salt water pail by pail to get it in.

any inputs ?

thanks

• SRC Member

what i did to my tank when i first set up was that i filled it up with DI water, pour in salt, and then live rocks in, finally then the sand go in. yes its gonna be a total mess and whole tank looks milky white but as long as your running some wool or filter sock in your sump, it'll clear within one night. at least for mine.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

I am guessing you want to add sand to a tank that already has water without clouding the tank? There are some videos on youtube on "adding sand to established aquarium".

1. just put the sand in a plastic bag with some air trapped and tie it up.

2. let it sink to the bottom of the tank

3. tear a small hole at the bottom of the plastic bag (where the sand is)

4. the sand will slowing come out from the hole you made and the air trapped in the bag will lift the bag out of the water to the surface.

i just cut a small opening at the corner, bring it down to the tank bottom while hold the cut corner. once reached tge bottom just relieve the hand and let the sand flow out from the packing. the tank will still turn cloudy even do it this way. make use of the included sand magnet included. My 2 ft tank pour in 1 pack of caribsea livesand, the sand settle down and slowly get clear within 6 hrs.

• SRC Member

I am guessing you want to add sand to a tank that already has water without clouding the tank? There are some videos on youtube on "adding sand to established aquarium".

1. just put the sand in a plastic bag with some air trapped and tie it up.

2. let it sink to the bottom of the tank

3. tear a small hole at the bottom of the plastic bag (where the sand is)

4. the sand will slowing come out from the hole you made and the air trapped in the bag will lift the bag out of the water to the surface.

i just cut a small opening at the corner, bring it down to the tank bottom while hold the cut corner. once reached tge bottom just relieve the hand and let the sand flow out from the packing. the tank will still turn cloudy even do it this way. make use of the included sand magnet included. My 2 ft tank pour in 1 pack of caribsea livesand, the sand settle down and slowly get clear within 6 hrs.

shucks dint see this today noon else i could have done it lol 6 hours is worth it. this is how my tank is.

post-19782-0-79936400-1372694797_thumb.j