Need advice for Setup First Marine Tank 3ft

Morning All, =)

I intend to own First New Saltwater Tank with 3 feet, Clownfish, Yellow Angel Fish and Candy and Mushroom Coral first, Below $3K setup budget. As I am new to Saltwater Aquarium, so need advice for below queries from all Sifus here. . Thanks in advance.

1) Tank

a) Is 18" width good enough?

B) Is 18" height good enough, in case too high need more light?

c) What is the grade of glass normally use, grade 1 or 2?

d) Do we need to use tempered glass?

e) Glass thickness should be 8, 9 or 10mm for 3 feet?

2) Sump

a) What is the recommended sump size for 3ft tank?

B) Is that recommend to have refugium?

3) Protein Skimmer

a) Notice that Skimz monster is around $600, which is quite expensive right? so which brand and spec is economical for 3ft tank? Rough estimate how much?

B) Notice that there is a equipment called Pin Wheel with skimmer, what is this for? Need to buy separately ?

4) Reactor

a) For Phosphate reactor, which brand and spec is preferable for 3ft tank? Rough estimate how much?

B) Need I need other reactor like, calcium, liquidised reactor, if I just want to have mushroom, candy coral which is SOFT coral right thus not required all these reactor right?

c) Notice you guys mentioned Reef FR, what is this for?

5) Light

a) T5 or MH Light is preferable?

B) Need White and Blue light only?

c) All come with day, night timer built in right?

6) Chiller

Understand Arctica chiller is better for long run, so what is the spec required for 3 feet tank, understand there is 1/10HP and different HP?

7) Heater

Is that need heater, thought the water need for 25-26 which need chiller, why still need heater?

8) Wavemaker

a) Is that we need to use powerhead for wavemaker purposes?

B) Understand there is another equipment called powerfilter, is that the same, cant really find much info on this thru internet?

9) Pump

a) Understand I need below pump for the entire setup right? Any other pump required?

-- Return Pump

-- Feed Pump for Skimmer

-- Pump for Phospate Reactor

-- Pump for Chiller

B) Which brand of pump is recommended for above purposes?

10) RO Unit

Which brand of RO unit is recommend and what spec?

11) Refractometer or Hydrometer?

Understand refratometer are used for the same purpose right, which refractometer is better right?

Thanks

• SRC Member

1c ) checked with all tank makers in singapore , all uses grade 1

1e ) 10mm ( my tank volume same as you, & all 3 tank makers says 10mm is more than enough even for marine )

3a) pinwheel pump is the pump that feed the skimmer. comes with it if you buy internal skimmer type

6) for arctica chiller , i would say 1/3 HP.

7) no need heater , those reefers in cold country(angmo) then need heater .

9a) return pump - eheim ( reliability and better max head since you going sump)

feed pump for skimmer - if you buying internal skimmer , pump already included

:cheers:

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

For 3ft you can use Skimz121. At AM They have some units they have leftover from Aquarama. Selling at a very good rate. Wave makers wise are specialized for its purposes so u should get a couple of them. E new Jebao WP25/40 are pretty popular now. A 2 feet sump should be good for ur setup. And it's a must to hold all ur filtration units. Refugium is optional. Lights are up to individuals. T5s MH and LED. Not all light set comes with day/night settings. Only the better ones. Lotsa discussion over the types and brands in the forum And ya refractormeter is definitely more accurate. Not very ex too.

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

tank glass thickness 10mm at least. sump capacity should be at least 30-40% of DT capacity. Chiller can go between return path from sump and DT tank, there is pros & cons, But u save on one pump. If you oni go for everthings NEW, 3K budget will be quite tough!!

• SRC Member

Morning All, =)

I intend to own First New Saltwater Tank with 3 feet, Clownfish, Yellow Angel Fish and Candy and Mushroom Coral first, Below $3K setup budget. As I am new to Saltwater Aquarium, so need advice for below queries from all Sifus here. . Thanks in advance.

1) Tank

a) Is 18" width good enough?

B) Is 18" height good enough, in case too high need more light?

c) What is the grade of glass normally use, grade 1 or 2?

d) Do we need to use tempered glass?

e) Glass thickness should be 8, 9 or 10mm for 3 feet?

height will depend on personal preference and also depending on what corals you want to keep, taller tank requires much more intense and stronger light to hit the bottom of the tank. Full blown SPS tank also requires better lighting. 100 for a 3ft is ok. Crystal glass will give u better clarity.

2) Sump

a) What is the recommended sump size for 3ft tank?

B) Is that recommend to have refugium?

refugium is good to grow pods and macro plants. pods feed fish like mandarin dragonet.

3) Protein Skimmer

a) Notice that Skimz monster is around $600, which is quite expensive right? so which brand and spec is economical for 3ft tank? Rough estimate how much?

B) Notice that there is a equipment called Pin Wheel with skimmer, what is this for? Need to buy separately ?

Get the bubble magus curve 7 for your 3ft tank, slightly less than 1/2 of the skimz price and performance is good.

4) Reactor

a) For Phosphate reactor, which brand and spec is preferable for 3ft tank? Rough estimate how much?

B) Need I need other reactor like, calcium, liquidised reactor, if I just want to have mushroom, candy coral which is SOFT coral right thus not required all these reactor right?

c) Notice you guys mentioned Reef FR, what is this for?

We usually buy reactor to run Rowaphos or other phosphate removing media. since you only aim to have mushroom and soft corals, you might not even need any if you keep your fish bioload low enough and change water more frequently.

5) Light

a) T5 or MH Light is preferable?

B) Need White and Blue light only?

c) All come with day, night timer built in right?

Once again, since softies coral are in your mind, probably a 4tube normal t5 fixture will be sufficient for 18" height. but if you're willing to pay more and possible upgrade to SPS in future, get a maxspect Razor 160w 16k.

6) Chiller

Understand Arctica chiller is better for long run, so what is the spec required for 3 feet tank, understand there is 1/10HP and different HP?

7) Heater

Is that need heater, thought the water need for 25-26 which need chiller, why still need heater?

8) Wavemaker

a) Is that we need to use powerhead for wavemaker purposes?

B) Understand there is another equipment called powerfilter, is that the same, cant really find much info on this thru internet?

Not sure about that but wavemaker is probably one of the most important thing. since yours is a 3ft with softies, get a jebao wp25 will do.

9) Pump

a) Understand I need below pump for the entire setup right? Any other pump required?

-- Return Pump

-- Feed Pump for Skimmer

-- Pump for Phospate Reactor

-- Pump for Chiller

B) Which brand of pump is recommended for above purposes?

10) RO Unit

Which brand of RO unit is recommend and what spec?

11) Refractometer or Hydrometer?

Understand refratometer are used for the same purpose right, which refractometer is better right?

Thanks

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

1c ) checked with all tank makers in singapore , all uses grade 1

1e ) 10mm ( my tank volume same as you, & all 3 tank makers says 10mm is more than enough even for marine )

3a) pinwheel pump is the pump that feed the skimmer. comes with it if you buy internal skimmer type

6) for arctica chiller , i would say 1/3 HP.

7) no need heater , those reefers in cold country(angmo) then need heater .

9a) return pump - eheim ( reliability and better max head since you going sump)

feed pump for skimmer - if you buying internal skimmer , pump already included

:cheers:

What is 1/3 mean? Roughly how much this chiller? Can I use fan for 36" x 18" x 18"?

What you mean by better max head for return pump? Mind share ?

Any disadvantages of using internal skimmer?

Notice quite a lot people using bubble magus ...it this internal skimmer?

Thanks

For 3ft you can use Skimz121. At AM They have some units they have leftover from Aquarama. Selling at a very good rate. Wave makers wise are specialized for its purposes so u should get a couple of them. E new Jebao WP25/40 are pretty popular now. A 2 feet sump should be good for ur setup. And it's a must to hold all ur filtration units. Refugium is optional. Lights are up to individuals. T5s MH and LED. Not all light set comes with day/night settings. Only the better ones. Lotsa discussion over the types and brands in the forum And ya refractormeter is definitely more accurate. Not very ex too.

If I am not wrong, this Skimz 121 come with pump right? Thought Aquarama is exhibition, thought already over? Roughly how much?

T5s MH and LED are 3 different light??? Confuse. =)

tank glass thickness 10mm at least. sump capacity should be at least 30-40% of DT capacity. Chiller can go between return path from sump and DT tank, there is pros & cons, But u save on one pump. If you oni go for everthings NEW, 3K budget will be quite tough!!

DT mean display tank right? For Chiller, which approach is better since sifu here got more experience, go between return path from sump and DT better???

If no choice, than have to spend more than 3k.

• SRC Member

Pmed you littlereef

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

height will depend on personal preference and also depending on what corals you want to keep, taller tank requires much more intense and stronger light to hit the bottom of the tank. Full blown SPS tank also requires better lighting. 100 for a 3ft is ok. Crystal glass will give u better clarity.

refugium is good to grow pods and macro plants. pods feed fish like mandarin dragonet.

Get the bubble magus curve 7 for your 3ft tank, slightly less than 1/2 of the skimz price and performance is good.

We usually buy reactor to run Rowaphos or other phosphate removing media. since you only aim to have mushroom and soft corals, you might not even need any if you keep your fish bioload low enough and change water more frequently.

Once again, since softies coral are in your mind, probably a 4tube normal t5 fixture will be sufficient for 18" height. but if you're willing to pay more and possible upgrade to SPS in future, get a maxspect Razor 160w 16k.

Not sure about that but wavemaker is probably one of the most important thing. since yours is a 3ft with softies, get a jebao wp25 will do.

Thought I still need Phosphate reactor to keep nitrate low and reduce algae right?

What is SPS, tried find thru internet, can not find any hints? =)

Eventhough I have surf through the internet on how to setup the sump, it is just theory, so wonder is that you all DIY or shop help to setup, because there are so many pump and sump involved, especially I am new to saltwater.

Eventhough I have surf through the internet on how to setup the sump, it is just theory, so wonder is that you all DIY or shop help to setup, because there are so many pump and sump involved, especially I am new to saltwater.

I have walkthrough the price, seem everything add up need above 4K right?

If I just want to have FISH with Live Rock first, can I setup without Chiller and Reactor first? Which I just need to prepare enough sump place to place the reactor later and buy a separate chiller cabinet first? Need advice here. Thanks.

• SRC Member

hi LittleReef,

Hope following can answer some of your questions.

1/3 means 1/3 horsepower. Below is link to a brand.

http://www.jbjlighting.com/prod-arctica-aquarium.html

BTW, your softies might be able to survive on fan if water temp can stay below 29C. I see no harm trying. Running cost is definitely lower than having a chiller. Just cater for a chiller in your tank design for future upgrade if necessary.

Max head is the maximum height a particular pump can 'push' water upwards vertically. Example: If your display tank height is 2 ft & cabinet is 3 ft. Then the return pump sitting at the base of your cabinet in the sump needs to have a max head of more than 5 ft to delivery water up to your display tank. Below is a head max chart for Jebao pumps. Taking the example of model 5000 pump(light blue line), At 5 ft(i.e. about 1.5 meters), it will still give you a flow rate of about 3700L/hr. Let's say overall water volume is about 340L, 10X circulation rate per hour looks just about right. You can do similar calculation with other type of pumps. Remember to use as large a piping size as possible & minimize bends in them to maximize flow rate from your pump.

6935ema_20.jpeg

Bubble Magus internal skimmer is a good choice if you have limited budget.

BM product page:

http://www.bubble-magus.com/en/product.asp

You can add Phosphate reactor if you need it later. It's not a must have from day one. Just cater space in your sump design for it.

SPS stands for Small Polyped Stony.

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=597+322

One important consideration when designing sump is to cater for extra water volume when you have a power outage in your home. Otherwise, it's going to be a messy flood.

All the best, & enjoy this journey.

If I am not wrong, this Skimz 121 come with pump right? Thought Aquarama is exhibition, thought already over? Roughly how much? T5s MH and LED are 3 different light??? Confuse. =)[/ Ya Aquarama is over. Some balance stocks from the competition tanks that they sponsored. Ya there are 3 different kinds of lights. Think you should go down to one of the LFS to understand more. Perhaps u can also short list ur tank maker

HI All.....

1) If use fan, for 36"x 18" x 18", how many fan do I need and which brand and spec better?

2) Understand phosphate is to reduce algae, so do I need to change water twice weekly or more, without this phosphate reactor, if yes I prefer to buy phosphate reactor.

3) For sump to cater for extra water volume when power outage, it is size of the sump matter only right? If yes, what is the preferable sump size for my display tank 36"x 18" x 18"?

4) Assume I will upgrade to full equipment later stage, e.g. different reactor and etc, how many partition space required to be spared now for the sump now, as currently I will buy skimmer, and maybe phosphate reactor only ?

5) For chiller should put outside cabinet as understand it generate heat to water right?

Regarding on the width, why not go as width as 2' to 2.5'?

Can do more scape and swimming area for larger Tangs in case you gonna keep some =)

Worry width 2 take lot space. Thought the fish can still swim left to right and vice versa, or you mean 1.5 width too narrow?

1- u can use what glass u want- 12mm minimum- grade 1 glass gives u better clarity but up to u.

2- 2ft sump should be good-refugium optional.

3- lots of bros sell 2nd protein skimmers in pasermalam forum- depends wht brand u want but u could get one sutible for ur tank for around 100- just depends.

4- chiller yea 1/3 or 1/4 hp should be fine- but anyway ur tank is softies u u should just give fans a try- as other bro said as long as its under 29 degrees its fine for softies.if u wan chiller artica chiller brand new are pretty pricey so maybe try find 2nd or i also think haelia is not bad- just up to u and how much $$$$ u wan to spend

- lights really up to u whether ur wan led-t5-MH. think u would need 4 tubes of T5

and for wave maker u cld use the wp25- or if u wan cheaper u could go for sun sun but not controllable.

if u need any other info- pm me

cheers jack

By the way, any good reputation shop recommend for new tank with cabinet and sump?
Fan is not going to work for tank this size. U probably won't be able to cool water to a desirable temp. Even with a reactor reducing phosphate. U need to take into account nitrates too. Probably u need one running bio pellets. Even then, u should still do water change fortnightly or monthly at least. Sump size to prevent flood wise. Depends on e amount of water that will overflow to equilibrium with ur overflow height. Different tank design different amount. Partition wise u need min 3. One for ur std filter media, bio balls carbon rings coral chip. One for return pumps and middle one with a constant water level for ur skimmers n reactors. Middle shd have e biggest space.. But anyway, some reactors can be externally mounted too. Yes chiller works well outside ur cabinet If u are going for a good budget. U can check out my office tank thread. If u like my tank design, think aquatic style has one last piece. Got it for 450 or so. Tank sump cabinet. Not sure if e price is e same now.