clown fish host

liquidnoise

• SRC Member

We face a problem. We have 3 clowns who has been trying to house in 2 of our 3 Goni. The Goni keep closing becoz of this reason. FYI, the behavior only started tese 2 days. We have a RBTA but the clowns dun go to it... We have swifted the Goni to another location but the clown followed. Now no choice, we swifted the 2 Goni which is targetted by the clowns to the rock scape which is not ideal. These Goni has been with us for 4 months now give and take a few weeks. Is there a solution for this? Issit becoz the Goni is much bigger then the Anenome tats why they are targeted? there is another Goni tat is not targetted...why?

Notice the big BT took a nip on one of the Goni placed on the rock scape. hopefully its one of thing. Any1 have such problems before?

We face a problem. We have 3 clowns who has been trying to house in 2 of our 3 Goni. The Goni keep closing becoz of this reason. FYI, the behavior only started tese 2 days. We have a RBTA but the clowns dun go to it... We have swifted the Goni to another location but the clown followed. Now no choice, we swifted the 2 Goni which is targetted by the clowns to the rock scape which is not ideal. These Goni has been with us for 4 months now give and take a few weeks. Is there a solution for this? Issit becoz the Goni is much bigger then the Anenome tats why they are targeted? there is another Goni tat is not targetted...why?

Notice the big BT took a nip on one of the Goni placed on the rock scape. hopefully its one of thing. Any1 have such problems before?

I had 2 goni and both used to skretch but my black clown pair keep disturbing it and both do not skretch. I place one in my Nano and trying to nurse it but end up it died and pollute the water which I did a 100% WC in my nano. The other is still in my main 3 feet tank but partial of the goni died and it never skretch. All other LPS are doing well and now my clownfishes always hang around at my torch coral which both are happy with each other. Goni still surviving but don't skretch. I measure water parameters still ok for KH, Ca and Mg. But no3 still high around 30 ppm.

• SRC Member

I had 2 goni and both used to skretch but my black clown pair keep disturbing it and both do not skretch. I place one in my Nano and trying to nurse it but end up it died and pollute the water which I did a 100% WC in my nano. The other is still in my main 3 feet tank but partial of the goni died and it never skretch. All other LPS are doing well and now my clownfishes always hang around at my torch coral which both are happy with each other. Goni still surviving but don't skretch. I measure water parameters still ok for KH, Ca and Mg. But no3 still high around 30 ppm.

Do u have anenome in your tank?

• SRC Member

No for my 3 feet tank. I got another nano tank with 2 anemones but my platinum clown haven host yet...

Fren I went to your place before and bought the BM NAC remember??

oh yeah....you with the nice clown and a tank just for the clown...now tat we have shifted the Goni.. they clowns have not hosted in anything. but the positions for the Goni i dun find it very ideal coz the cannot really extend

• SRC Member

From my observation.

Clownfish will eventually host the most formidable host that can protect them.

But before that they need "training". The most benign stinging coral is probably gonio. And gonio has long tentacles that can hide the clowns from predators.

The next they will try to host is hammer or frogspawn that has more deadly sting than gonio.

I now believe that when clownfish often seen sucking on the host tentacles are away to keep the host familiar with their body slime and do not treat them as foreign object which it will sting.

Slowly if there is anemones they will try to host it. I have observed how my clownfish carefully host an anemones. It will not be immediate. It will start slowly and carefully introducing its presence to get the anemones familiar with it before fully hosting it. This can take a few days.

When the clownfish have never host an anemones, a new anemones is a new creature to them that they do not know if it poses threat or not. Until they get comfortable with the anemones presence then they will start "engaging" it.

My clownfish first host my hammer after 1 month. When I introduced gonio, it try to host after 1-2 weeks but as a 2nd host (just for another playing ground). when they sleep, they still sleep on the hammer. I introduced a carpet anemones Afterwards. It takes few months before the clown switch to carpet anemones and now they never look back because the carpet is the most formidable host to them now. They sleep and play most of the time on the carpet anemones and occasionally play on the hammer. But a night they sleep on the anemones. They have totally abandoned the gonio.

It is a different case with clownfish that have hosted anemones before. In this case, when they recognize an anemones and they do not have a host yet, they will quickly engage the anemone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD