Help needed to set up my new 3ft tank !

I've recently ordered a 3ft tank x1.5 and it comes with 3 lighting and 1 top filter. This tank is basically for marine fishes like clown fish and seahorse and some live corals.

I know that skimmer is a must for the tank. What else should i get? Should i get a canister filter or sump etc?

Please advise :)

Ask yourself a few question before committing on the equipment.

1) what type of coral are you keeping, generally 3 types - SPS, LPS and softies...

They have different light requirement and wave requirement.

2) How much budget are you looking at ?

Seahorse is a difficult species and requirement specimen-ready tank as their diet and behaviour is different from other LS.

The sump setup is the best in my opinion in the long run. Canister is a chore and nitrate factory. A top filter do a job well, but aesthetically not pleasing and may not be effective enough. Take time to read through the forum as the pro and cons of different filtration has being discussed extensively.

What else do you need to get ... depend on your budget ...

wavemakers

return pump

live sand

dosing pump

ph monitor

temperature monitor

chiller

test kits

fluidised reactor to remove phosphate

the list nvr end i guess haha....

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

Ask yourself a few question before committing on the equipment.

1) what type of coral are you keeping, generally 3 types - SPS, LPS and softies... 

They have different light requirement and wave requirement.

2) How much budget are you looking at ?

Seahorse is a difficult species and requirement specimen-ready tank as their diet and behaviour is different from other LS.

The sump setup is the best in my opinion in the long run. Canister is a chore and nitrate factory. A top filter do a job well, but aesthetically not pleasing and may not be effective enough. Take time to read through the forum as the pro and cons of different filtration has being discussed extensively.

What else do you need to get ... depend on your budget ...

wavemakers

return pump 

live sand 

dosing pump 

ph monitor

temperature monitor 

chiller 

test kits

fluidised reactor to remove phosphate 

the list nvr end i guess haha....

Right now I think I would wanna keep those moving corals if im not wrong they should be lps.. and of cos some marine fishes. budget is not really high. Therefore I'm only getting the compulsory equipment needed like skimmer and testkit. Are there any more equipment that are compulsory for my type of set up?

Aim and achieve.

Right now I think I would wanna keep those moving corals if im not wrong they should be lps.. and of cos some marine fishes. budget is not really high. Therefore I'm only getting the compulsory equipment needed like skimmer and testkit. Are there any more equipment that are compulsory for my type of set up? Aim and achieve.
A wavemaker is essential though.

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

A marine tank comes with it an implicit commitment for one's time & effort. At least half hour a day for feeding & checking, plus more once a week for weekly maintenance husbandry. Hope i'm not scarring u off. But it's something u need to know before u start investing $$ into this addictive hobby.

• Like 1

Wp 25 is good enuff for ur 3ft tank. AM is having promotion at 75.. Cheapest in e market now. For skimmer don't settle for less. Go for deltec or skimz. U might wanna invest in a chiller too to keep ur LPS.. A 1/4HP one for ur tank size..

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

And ya a sump. A must have. If not u dont have anymore to install a decent skimmer

So if i plan to buy a deltec skimmer how much would it cost me for a 3ft tank skimmer? Whats a sump for? sorry im new to marine aquarium. and also what kind of sump should i get? and how much are they?

So if i plan to buy a deltec skimmer how much would it cost me for a 3ft tank skimmer? Whats a sump for? sorry im new to marine aquarium. and also what kind of sump should i get? and how much are they?
You might wanna contact our sponsor like madpetz to ask them for the pricing or simply visit their website :) Again it can range from 200 to 1000... A good Deltec suitable for our size would be sc1455. About 500. A sump is a additional tank below the main display to aid in filtration. I suggest u visit member set up in the forum to see the idea of the sump. By right.. Your tank maker would have recommend it for u. Getting ad hoc sump with overflow box can be very unsightly in my opinion. Create extra space, vol to aid in filtration

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

You might wanna contact our sponsor like madpetz to ask them for the pricing or simply visit their website :) Again it can range from 200 to 1000... A good Deltec suitable for our size would be sc1455. About 500. A sump is a additional tank below the main display to aid in filtration. I suggest u visit member set up in the forum to see the idea of the sump. By right.. Your tank maker would have recommend it for u. Getting ad hoc sump with overflow box can be very unsightly in my opinion. Create extra space, vol to aid in filtration
Ya I agree , if ur tank maker told u e tank is meant for marine, it should come with sump. External overflow is unsightly n unstable at times..

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

Ya I agree , if ur tank maker told u e tank is meant for marine, it should come with sump. External overflow is unsightly n unstable at times..

Let's say if i've nothing, should i get a sump first or a skimmer first to kick start the water cycling?

I guess you need the sump to house the skimmer. So get the sump first but again you need to know your skimmer dimension when getting your sump… chicken and egg which come first? :P

Hahahh, i was thinking to get a hang over deltec MCE 600 protein skimmer. so maybe i would be skipping the sump part.

You can don't invest in any thing but do 20% water change weekly.

Forget about canister filter . Long run it is hard to keep it nitrate free

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

You can don't invest in any thing but do 20% water change weekly.

Forget about canister filter . Long run it is hard to keep it nitrate free

Thanks , but if i dont get a canister filter, i cant be using the top filter that came with the tank for reef keeping right?

• SRC Member

Thanks , but if i dont get a canister filter, i cant be using the top filter that came with the tank for reef keeping right?

u can still use the top filter...its called OHF...same logic will trap nitrates.

Do frequent water change like what bro Sherman says.

i was using OHF previously and thinking its ok ...end up its tedious !

converted to a sump.

u can still use the top filter...its called OHF...same logic will trap nitrates.

Do frequent water change like what bro Sherman says.

i was using OHF previously and thinking its ok ...end up its tedious !

converted to a sump.

Am i right to say that by using a OHF will need more hardwork thats all right? Wont affect the tank in anyway, other than more frequent WC. In that case i can save up my money on buying a canister filter.