Crap ! It's a hairy crab !!

• SRC Member

Just found out my tank now has a 1+ inch hairy crab with big pincers... Tried over the last 2 nites to trap the bugger into a glass container with a prawn inside but the crab is either too smart or too ball-less, didnt take the bait...

Can anyone share how to take these critters out ? Thanks !

• SRC Member

think the effective way so far for my family is identify the rock tat the crab is hiding. once its in the rock hidding (thinking tat we canot see, which is correct as we cannot always see). take the whole rock out and slowly take out the crab. wat we do is tat we dun flush it down the toliet but leave it in the sump so tat it eats watever food dats dun into the sump as well as we dun kill a life.

• Like 1

last time i try to skip feeding for 1-2 days then i put a small clean empty bottle with mysis inside and put near/inclined to a rock or where the crab sightings is, it take me 3-4 tried before i capture a 50 cents size crab, but not so sure to whether is harmful or not, and yes just put in the sump...

• 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

Try the glass and market prawn method. I got mine out that way. Second night then got it. Be patient. Off the lights all the way and don't feed. Well, don't know if the lights and feeding helps but hey, I got mine that way.... Cheers

• 2 months later...

My tank ever have a small hairy crab around 20 cents and it's dam Feirce. Killed my shunk shrimp which is bigger. I got so pissed off and took that rock which the crab is hiding out of the water. But stil can't find coz it hide in the holes of my rock. So what I did is put my rock in a pail with pump at high salinity level for a couple of days and guess what. It just die and to my surprise there is many smaller ones!