NSW water change.

Hi guys, wanted to ask something.. If my current tank salinity is 1.025 , and i drain 30% out. Then i add back that 30% into the tank using NSW bought from Irwana , do i need to measure the salinity in the tank and add some salt if the salinity is too low?

Also, if water from my tank evaporated, do i top it up with di water or nsw, if i use nsw will the salinity increase ??

Nsw salinity can be quite low at times. Sometimes abt 1.20 only. So it shd prob measure e salinity of e nsw too. N yes salinity will go up if u top up with nsw. But not much as e evaporation won't be too much. Adding salt mix is what some pple do. Do note u can't keep nsw for many days without circulating e water as there's bacterial in e water. If u keep it for too long there will be die off in e nsw

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

Nsw salinity can be quite low at times. Sometimes abt 1.20 only. So it shd prob measure e salinity of e nsw too. N yes salinity will go up if u top up with nsw. But not much as e evaporation won't be too much. Adding salt mix is what some pple do. Do note u can't keep nsw for many days without circulating e water as there's bacterial in e water. If u keep it for too long there will be die off in e nsw

So if my tank salinity is 1.023 and i add some NSW in, den if the salinity is too low i add salt into the water?

Mix ur nsw to a salinity of 1.023 before pouring in. That's e usual process. U can't really mix salt in next time when ur tank is full of corals n fishes right?

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

Always premix salt with freshwater and add it tank gradually... DO NOT POUR SALT INTO YOUR TANK DIRECTLY... First, u wont know how much to add... Secondly, the sudden spike in the salinity will stress out the livestocks. If you are using nsw, you can add the salt to the nsw, measure the salinity, add gradually... Water will evaporate from tank but not salt, so top up with freshwater to maintain the tanks salinity... Unless u are trying to up the salinity level, top up with nsw.. In any case, always do things gradually... Add in alittle, test the parameters and add more if needed, it will save u time and salts....

Buy fish that excite YOU, and respect others' passions.

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

Always premix salt with freshwater and add it tank gradually... DO NOT POUR SALT INTO YOUR TANK DIRECTLY... First, u wont know how much to add... Secondly, the sudden spike in the salinity will stress out the livestocks. If you are using nsw, you can add the salt to the nsw, measure the salinity, add gradually... Water will evaporate from tank but not salt, so top up with freshwater to maintain the tanks salinity... Unless u are trying to up the salinity level, top up with nsw.. In any case, always do things gradually... Add in alittle, test the parameters and add more if needed, it will save u time and salts....

Mix ur nsw to a salinity of 1.023 before pouring in. That's e usual process. U can't really mix salt in next time when ur tank is full of corals n fishes right?

Thanks guys, 1 question.. I've cycled my tank with tap water.. and it has been 1 week. Will the water be harmful when the water cycle is completed?

Any anti chlorine added to the tap water before cycle? If not no matter how many bottles of bact poured in also no use..

Dont have.. But I got on the filter and I heard that it will blow away the chlorine..

Aim and achieve.

Filter does nothing to the chlorine... Unless u are talking about industrial grade water purifying filters which im pretty sure u are not... However, it is to my understanding that chlorine will eventually evaporates from the water if left overnight, however that doesnt remove other impurities that comes with the tapwater in the first place, ie. silicates...

Yes, we know, there's a cheaper and prettier fish than the one were talking about. - John Coppolino

Filter does nothing to the chlorine... Unless u are talking about industrial grade water purifying filters which im pretty sure u are not... However, it is to my understanding that chlorine will eventually evaporates from the water if left overnight, however that doesnt remove other impurities that comes with the tapwater in the first place, ie. silicates...

Are there any other way to remove those impurities???

Aim and achieve.

• Like 1

Easiest way is water change... Or theres products in the market that remove silicates, phospates... But at this stage u wont want to add any chemicals into ur tank, even if its reefsafe... Do a large water change ( with rodi water saltmix or nsw ) once ur tank in cycled, this will help... Other than that, probly best to leave things are and wait out the cycle... Please ensure the cycle is complete before adding any fish bro... If not, its just a waste of time, money and innocent lives... Trust me, been there done that. U will appreciated alot more if thing go slowly and gradually. Imagine adding fish only for it to die on you couple days later... You will only get disheartened and frustrated and eventually give up... Even after cycling, it takes at least a year for the tank to mature and thats when u start to go to more advance livestocks like anemones. So be patient and stock up gradually, read up and learn more during this period.

Easiest way is water change... Or theres products in the market that remove silicates, phospates... But at this stage u wont want to add any chemicals into ur tank, even if its reefsafe... Do a large water change ( with rodi water saltmix or nsw ) once ur tank in cycled, this will help... Other than that, probly best to leave things are and wait out the cycle... Please ensure the cycle is complete before adding any fish bro... If not, its just a waste of time, money and innocent lives... Trust me, been there done that. U will appreciated alot more if thing go slowly and gradually. Imagine adding fish only for it to die on you couple days later... You will only get disheartened and frustrated and eventually give up... Even after cycling, it takes at least a year for the tank to mature and thats when u start to go to more advance livestocks like anemones. So be patient and stock up gradually, read up and learn more during this period.

By the way... Aim and achieve will not work in this hobby...

Thanks bro. So I just wait till. The cycle is done and I do a 30-50% water change with nsw or di water with saltmixed right? Then it will remove all the impurities in the water

Aim and achieve.

I cannot tell you by doing that, it will remove 100% of impurities... But will definitely help... Some impurites will bound to be present in your system, its just a matter of where it comes from and how much it is, for example, some liverocks do leach silicates and phophates. So what we are doing us just trying to get the unwanted stuffs down to a manageable quantity... Try not to meddle to much at this point. Let nature takes its course...

I cannot tell you by doing that, it will remove 100% of impurities... But will definitely help... Some impurites will bound to be present in your system, its just a matter of where it comes from and how much it is, for example, some liverocks do leach silicates and phophates. So what we are doing us just trying to get the unwanted stuffs down to a manageable quantity... Try not to meddle to much at this point. Let nature takes its course...

Alright thanks, do i have to top up any di water atm cos it's the 2nd week of cycling and quite alot of water had been evaporated..

• SRC Member

Think of it as 2 separate elements, if you add saltwater its salt + water. So if its just water its just water+salt+ water, therefore, you are adding more water to the ratio of available salt, so yes you still have to add salt to the same ratio.

If you drink kopi, you top up kopi, you still get kopi, if you add water you will get a very watery taste which is not kopi. Same logic.