My humble lions tank

angry

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Sorry 19percula,

Balrog is already taken, he just called me:) But if u want, i can go hunt for u. Just tell me the specs. I always go shopping:)

Hey Angry Brudder

So when u going shopping? Very tempting leh... I also very keen on a radiata. But I am somewhat scared of the amt of load they can produce... :lol:

:off: Btw, I just got another frogfish, black, 1.5". Hasn't start eating yet... :sick:

• SRC Member

Nice radiatta bro! awesome! They are not too hard to keep but does not tolerate poor water quality well when compared to their other cousins and hard to wean to frozen. But the good news is, they do not grow to such lengths like the volitans:) Russelli is amongst the hardiest of all the lions even compared to the volitans and eaiser to wean to frozen.

HHmmmmmm i might be selling my 6 incher Balrog and hunt for a russelli........ anyone interested?

Ya, it's damn nice man! It is so nice that I didn't even ask if it has already started eating, how much is it, when did it arrive, etc, etc. I just took a pail and net it up!

They are starting to eat like pigs today! Think I'll probably do a weekly 20% water change from now on. It's amazing watching them "inhaling" the goldfish and tiger barbs and there's a tendency to overfeed too! And that's not very good!

Just bought an acrylic stick today. Will start weaning them to small market prawns and baby squids soon. Do you guys use some form of feeding stick to wean your Lionfish? Just wondering how am I going to attach the food to the stick. Skewering it is not secure, the prawn/squid will drop off leh.

• SRC Member

I wean them with my bare hands haaahaaahaaaa. I started wriggling live mollies in their view (using my hands) in the first practise and eventually switching to lance fish. They associate my hands with food nowadays. Volitans are easily weaned. Not so sure anbout radiatta bro. Update me with your weaning methods yeah when it works.

• SRC Member

Try to give it a miss using goldfish! Mollies are still okay for two weeks. Dun have to wait till a month bro. Honestly, i wean mine immediately they arrive. Its only when they really refuse to eat after much attempts, then i will resort to mollies. I just got a fiery red antenatta minutes ago and shall rush back now to enjoy it. Keep in touch and enjoy! :evil::evil::evil:

• SRC Member
Try to give it a miss using goldfish! Mollies are still okay for two weeks. Dun have to wait till a month bro. Honestly, i wean mine immediately they arrive. Its only when they really refuse to eat after much attempts, then i will resort to mollies.

I think shrimps are better food as opposed to mollies, right?

I just got a fiery red antenatta minutes ago and shall rush back now to enjoy it. Keep in touch and enjoy! :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Where on earth did you find the antenna? :shock:

• SRC Member
Yeah bro, shrimps are hell lot better than any fresh water fish:)

One problem with shrimps is that they are bottom dwellers, and may quickly seek shelter among the LR if the predators are not fast enough. Worse still, they will die in a few days time (since they are not SW residents), and increase the tank's bioload.

• SRC Member

Went to shop for lions with pterois yesterday. Saw alot of radiattas bro, mostly at pasir ris farms. I got one just the other day. Radiatta is kinda shy creature, normally hiding in caves and only out during dusk and dawn time jusy to feed. I still weaning mine:) :evil:

• SRC Member

One problem with shrimps is that they are bottom dwellers, and may quickly seek shelter among the LR if the predators are not fast enough. Worse still, they will die in a few days time (since they are not SW residents), and increase the tank's bioload.

yes shrimps are bottom dwellers which lions do not really like. They prefer fishes, which swims.

Try mollies. They can live in saltwater for at least 1 day or 2. If you can slowly acclimatize them, they can even live in SW.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
no horse run! :yeah:

can share how u scape ur tank without kena stung by them?

get a small pail to scoop them out lah.. dun use nets coz you are gonna break their fins. Anyway they are very slow.. very easy to corner them..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

Very nice lions you guys have. Ive been a big fan of lions ever since I was a ######. So far have only seen fuzzy and volitans in LFS.

Anyway gonna setup a 4x1x1.5 tank soon and I was wondering if the tank is big enough to keep them. Afraid that 1 ft width might not be enough for them to make a U-turn in the tank. If cant keep then think i can forget about keeping lions. :cry2: