LPS Lightning.

• SRC Member

3 kinds of lighting. T5 or led or MH This is not only for lps...infact its for sps too and all other photosynthetic marine line. That also includes all algae. T5 is cheaper than led in the initial cost but will have to incur maintenance cost in the form of bulb changingbevery 6 to 9 months due to decay. More spectrumnincluding UV and spread is good. Also uses more electricity. Generates heat but if placed high enough or running with a decent chiller will be okay. They rarely come with auto timers and programmable dimmers. LED is expensive in the initial cost, but little to no maintenance. Electricity use depends on model and size. Generates heat but if placed high enough or running with decent chiller should be okay. Comes with auto timers usually, cheaper ones u get from lfs dont come with it. Higher end ones even comes with programmable dimmers. Metal halides i dont have alot of experience with it, but i know it generates massive amounts of heat and electricity. Not recommended for lps as they dont need super bright lights.

• 6 months later...
  • SRC Member

if t5 aquazone 4 bulbs shud be enough...length of bulb shud be same as length of tank. if can afford better modules of cos its better. led the cheapest option is alibaba par38 gd enuf for lps but i think the spectrum not gd enuf to color up the coral. again of cos the better led are the best. mh 150w is the best in my opinion even for 2ft deep tank