Securing flexible hose to return pump

veliferium

I've recently gotten a Fluval return pump and have fixed up the hose to the chiller from the return pump.

The hose fits snugly to the barbed fittings of the return pump and I have secured it together with cable tie.

However, I'm just trying to play safe to see if there is any additional measures that I can take?

Stainless steel hose clamps are out since I'm gonna run the pump internally. I have read about plastic hose clamps but I don't think anyone uses them very much locally?

May I know if there are any alternatives to plastic cable ties to secure these hoses to a return pump?

Contact is no problem cause I had to use hot water to soften the hose in order to squeeze it into the fitting. Just need some added security. After all, I don't think I would want to wake up one morning to find that my living room is flooded with saltwater

Thanks angmoh! I think I will check out Madpetz for the plastic clamps. Hope it's not overly expensive.

• SRC Member

Contact is no problem cause I had to use hot water to soften the hose in order to squeeze it into the fitting. Just need some added security. After all, I don't think I would want to wake up one morning to find that my living room is flooded with saltwater

Thanks angmoh! I think I will check out Madpetz for the plastic clamps. Hope it's not overly expensive.

its not good practice to squeeze hose into connectors...although we do it as well. very simple reason of water hammering (more on pipeline work, so i guess for those who noe which industry i m in) I find that there is little point for clamps as it will increase the pressure within the connector and the hose. I will rather use a reducer which yes you will have a pressure drop. but its better the flooding. this sounds itlike its a new set up. so mayb u wanna consider a reducer instead. but if you are like use we use did the same....hahahaha

its not good practice to squeeze hose into connectors...although we do it as well. very simple reason of water hammering (more on pipeline work, so i guess for those who noe which industry i m in) I find that there is little point for clamps as it will increase the pressure within the connector and the hose. I will rather use a reducer which yes you will have a pressure drop. but its better the flooding. this sounds itlike its a new set up. so mayb u wanna consider a reducer instead. but if you are like use we use did the same....hahahaha

Yes, the idea of the clamp resulting in greater pressure exerted has crossed my mind before but security is still my priority I guess.

I'll try to take a picture tonight and put it here for discussion:)

• SRC Member

Or you can just use fire and heat it up till its soft like jelly to squeeze it into the connector hahah

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

Thanks for the input guys, I have managed to insert the hose into the barbed fittings already.

This is a picture of the attached hose to the pump.

However, the problem that I was referring to was the cable tie part, whereby I'm afraid that under extreme pressure, the attachment might give way.

http://s1059.photobucket.com/user/daybreaks91/media/DSC_0077.jpg.html'>DSC_0077.jpg

• SRC Member

the screw looking is just a fastener. which works the same way as ur cable tie and clamps. use white tape. very cheap only.wrap the plastic connector squeeze ur hose then fasten. triple protection

1. the connect is design for house thus the jagged edges

2. fastener tightens

3..very simple extra..use white tape on the plastic connector the connect the hose. helps in sealing

Looks like the hose is not fully inserted over the barb. Should be inserted all the way. The cable tie should be directly over a depression for maximum grip.

Noted bro talev!

I will try to dip it in hot water again to insert.

Seems like this was the maximum eh, anymore I would have to use a larger hose:/

• SRC Member

Noted bro talev!

I will try to dip it in hot water again to insert.

Seems like this was the maximum eh, anymore I would have to use a larger hose:/

wat u can do is to use a lighter to soften the hose la. bt i think it maybe the wrong hose size coz its suppose to be able to squeeze in all the way