DIY maintenance of chillers

Achilles Tang

Every 5 months, I will run an acidic solution through my chiller piping to clear out calcium deposits and the slimy sludge buildup inside my chiller's titanium cooling coils (is that the correct name?).

It is a good idea to run it through the chiller pump as well.

You can use holdhold white vinegar or if you can get hold of a stronger acid (be careful when handling strong acids), it will make the job faster and cleaner.

Who else has a tip to contribute?

• SRC Member
Just make sure you use an acid neutralizer in your chiller after use.

Running a soapy solution of sodium bicarbonate through the same circuit should do the trick.

Undiluted household vinegar is often too smelly to be used in large quanitites to flush chillers. I'll recommend the limescale remover mentioned by Benz as it is often citric acid but you'll have to run it overnight to be effective.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Sodium bicarbonate is baking soda which is widely available or if you are feeling rich, use Reef Buffer.

Limescale removers can be found in supermarkets or DIY shops.

Acid can be bought from chemical suppliers or try muriatic acid from hardware shops. I don't think it will be easy for you to get hold of it.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

I used to use vinegar and as Tanzy as pointed out... it's smelly as hell! :lol:

The last time, I ran diluted acid that stronger than vinegar. Don't ask me how I got it. ;)

I don't recommend the acid cleaning solution unless you verify that its safe to use and can be totally removed/rendered neutral and of a safe acidic percentage without causing hurt/damage.

• SRC Member
Every 5 months, I will run an acidic solution through my chiller piping to clear out calcium deposits and the slimy sludge buildup inside my chiller's titanium cooling coils (is that the correct name?).

It is a good idea to run it through the chiller pump as well.

You can use holdhold white vinegar or if you can get hold of a stronger acid (be careful when handling strong acids), it will make the job faster and cleaner.

Who else has a tip to contribute?

I think 5mths is too long. 2 mth per maintenance is good.

Max B)

• SRC Member
Running a soapy solution of sodium bicarbonate through the same circuit should do the trick.

Any suggestion on the type and amount of soap/detergent and NaHCO3 used? I have been runnig my chiller for almost 9 months without flushing the system (other than cleaning the air filter).

• SRC Member
Don't dilute the vinegar... it's already very diluted acid!!

Just run it pure!

Smelly!

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

after running for more than 8 hrs.... the diluted vinegar cannot even remove the slimy stuff in the PVC hose- 7 litre tap water with 3.25litre of vinegar ..... guess AT is rite, the vinegar itself already very weak, if diluted with water somemore, might as well use tap water to flush...

wanted to buy acid from my local hardware shop but they only sell in 5 little container. it is those very concentrated type where you can even c smoke come out once the cap is open :blink::blink::blink: ... after thinking twice, better not take the risk, the acid might be too strong and corrode the titanium coil coading....

• SRC Member

Don't worry Titanium is chemical resistant. If you can find out what acid it is I can tell you how to dilute it. I believe it is muriatic acid which is HCl (Hydrogen chloride) hence the white fumes. The concentration can be found on the container label .

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member
after running for more than 8 hrs.... the diluted vinegar cannot even remove the slimy stuff in the PVC hose- 7 litre tap water with 3.25litre of vinegar ..... guess AT is rite, the vinegar itself already very weak, if diluted with water somemore, might as well use tap water to flush...

wanted to buy acid from my local hardware shop but they only sell in 5 little container. it is those very concentrated type where you can even c smoke come out once the cap is open :blink::blink::blink: ... after thinking twice, better not take the risk, the acid might be too strong and corrode the titanium coil coading....

dont use those... unless you dilute it.... every 1part acid to 5part water... They are Hydro-cloride acid... And if you use them then make sure you are wearing thick rubber gloves... and a nose peg to clip your nose...

then make sure that you flush it for abt 2hours or so to ensure that it is gone from your system...

I use those to clean the raw cement after renovation works at my place... very effective... very strong... :lol:

If you use vinegar, you have to change out the vinegar once you see the bubbling has stopped and a lot of stuff has come out of the pipes. Try using a stronger pump to dislodge the stuff.

It is better to use a stronger acid to finish the job faster.

• SRC Member

If you use vinegar, you have to change out the vinegar once you see the bubbling has stopped and a lot of stuff has come out of the pipes. Try using a stronger pump to dislodge the stuff.

It is better to use a stronger acid to finish the job faster.

thanks benz for your comment, dun think i'll use those acid... looks so horrible to me,

AT, problem is, i dun c any bubble at all from the begining... guess my vinegar + water is really super dilluted...... maybe I'll try again 2 months latter. Now, I'll let the dilluted vinegar run for another 2 hrs now and start to flush with tape water latter.. :snore::snore: