Help needed. LED Lights

ckamos

Hi everyone,

Can anyone advise, if there are any reliable brand of LED Lights available in Singapore market for my new (upgrading) 3x3x2 ft tank. I have spoken to a few LFS and they all quoted me around $700. I'm looking for something decent and not too expensive (preferably to come with a controller), as my budget is about $500.

Just wondering, if there are any discussion treads or links to my above question as I don't seemed able to find it here in the forum.

Thank you.

Lee

• SRC Member

honestly the MHX led is kinda crappy, wrong spectrum and totally wrong mix of bulbs, its all cool white with a little blue only.

for that tank size, you should top up a little and get a maxspect Razor 160w 16k. It's full spectrum and definitely worth your money, controller built in too.

$500 unless buy 2nd hand, will not get you any good decent LEDs. Unless you DIY or get a few Par 38s but all these comes without controller.

Also depending on what your tank set up is, FOWLR, Softies/LPS Reef, Mixed reef or SPS tank.

or FOWLR where lighting is not an issue, a simple DIY with 5050 LED Strips cost you around $50 and you get your tank lit up, can even hook up a IR controller and have different colors changed via a controller.

Softies/LPS tank you can go for lower end LEDs like the Maxspect G2 and green elements LEDs, but they do not come with the correct spectrum or the correct Mix of LEDs, they all come with Cool white + royal Blue LEDs and some have violets.

for Mixed reef or SPS tank, you will have to look more into higher end LEDs like the Maxspect Razor, AI Hydra, Ecotech Radion Pro, GHL Mitras, Kessil & ReefBreeders/EverGrow.

They all provide you with Full Spectrum LEDs and a good controller, some better than the others.

The only LEDs that suit your budget is probably the ReefBreeders/Evergrow but you'll have to import in from China, That means no warranty if it spoils.

However, you can choose to top up a little and go for the Maxspect Razor 160w 16k (600+) and i assure you it will definitely be worth your money. Its famous for being the most bang for the buck good LEDs out in the market.

It also uses a good mix of LED (warm white + cool white + Royal Blue + Blue + True Violet (dual Core)).

LEDs like AI and Ecotech Radion chooses to use Cool White and throw in a mix of colorful LEDs like red/green/orange etc etc.

GHL Mitras on the other hand, have the best of both worlds, Warm white + cool white + Colorful leds, IIRC, all are individually controlled to dim or change the color spectrum, That of course comes with a premium price.

Im not saying the razor is the best here (i know i sounds like a razor sales man, i simply just love this LED!) but its definitely the best you can get with your budget.

Hope this helps

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

honestly the MHX led is kinda crappy, wrong spectrum and totally wrong mix of bulbs, its all cool white with a little blue only. for that tank size, you should top up a little and get a maxspect Razor 160w 16k. It's full spectrum and definitely worth your money, controller built in too. $500 unless buy 2nd hand, will not get you any good decent LEDs. Unless you DIY or get a few Par 38s but all these comes without controller. Also depending on what your tank set up is, FOWLR, Softies/LPS Reef, Mixed reef or SPS tank. or FOWLR where lighting is not an issue, a simple DIY with 5050 LED Strips cost you around $50 and you get your tank lit up, can even hook up a IR controller and have different colors changed via a controller. Softies/LPS tank you can go for lower end LEDs like the Maxspect G2 and green elements LEDs, but they do not come with the correct spectrum or the correct Mix of LEDs, they all come with Cool white + royal Blue LEDs and some have violets. for Mixed reef or SPS tank, you will have to look more into higher end LEDs like the Maxspect Razor, AI Hydra, Ecotech Radion Pro, GHL Mitras, Kessil & ReefBreeders/EverGrow. They all provide you with Full Spectrum LEDs and a good controller, some better than the others. The only LEDs that suit your budget is probably the ReefBreeders/Evergrow but you'll have to import in from China, That means no warranty if it spoils. However, you can choose to top up a little and go for the Maxspect Razor 160w 16k (600+) and i assure you it will definitely be worth your money. Its famous for being the most bang for the buck good LEDs out in the market. It also uses a good mix of LED (warm white + cool white + Royal Blue + Blue + True Violet (dual Core)). LEDs like AI and Ecotech Radion chooses to use Cool White and throw in a mix of colorful LEDs like red/green/orange etc etc. GHL Mitras on the other hand, have the best of both worlds, Warm white + cool white + Colorful leds, IIRC, all are individually controlled to dim or change the color spectrum, That of course comes with a premium price. Im not saying the razor is the best here (i know i sounds like a razor sales man, i simply just love this LED!) but its definitely the best you can get with your budget. Hope this helps
Thanks Evo for sharing. After your explanation, I have decided to spend more money in getting the right LED lights for my mix reef. Appreciate your kindness and advice.

For those who have being using LEDs since the first LED aquarium lite is make available will know many fail after 2 to 3 years.(8 hours use daily at 80 to 100% )

The light intensity drop by around 30 to 50 % from day one.(Use your lux meter can measure)

Especially those from PRC.

Not to mention the LED driver and the power supply fail after less then 2 years.

So far the only LED light set that can last more then 3 years is Orphek and AI .

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Not to mention the LED driver and the power supply fail after less then 2 years.

So far the only LED light set that can last more then 3 years is Orphek and AI .

Hi bro,

Just curious where you get the info from :rolleyes: ? Any link?

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

Just do a random check when helping to check and/or repair some LEDs set from friends and some of the reefers.

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

Hi. How about zetlight led? Heard it's quite affordable. Anyone using it?

the new zetlight with the 2 highpower White led seems rather interesting. but its quite abit over TS's budget.

Just do a random check when helping to check and/or repair some LEDs set from friends and some of the reefers.

Oic....i thought you have statistic data or link for your above claim...!

post-1182-049500100201281969137_thumb.gi

Knowing is not enough; we must apply. Willing is not enough; we must do. - Goethe

• SRC Member

True. The 10000 hours lifespan of led is mostly misleading.. Sometimes it's not the led itself that gives way.. Power supply, fan controller etc etc. Support is important as well. I know of a few fellas who's radion broke down and waited a few months to get fixed.

• SRC Member

True. The 10000 hours lifespan of led is mostly misleading.. Sometimes it's not the led itself that gives way.. Power supply, fan controller etc etc. Support is important as well. I know of a few fellas who's radion broke down and waited a few months to get fixed.

agreed...support is very important. at least able to repair or upgrade.