Electric shock when touching water

• SRC Member

Just to share, I had an electric leak from an unusual source, it is my temp probe for my chiller's ext temp controller. I had to go find a replacement probe (AC) to fix the leak. Caught me really dumbfolded when I discovered the source of leak! :blink::pinch::cry::shock:

Comments are welcome!

An alternative is that sometimes when your arm is in an awkward position e.g. reaching into the tank, a nerve gets compressed or distended resulting in a sensation of electric shock.

I love that sensation. Last time I use to purposely find that nerve at my elbow joint and disturb it a little.. :rolleyes:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

I only have 2 PowerHead, chiller and MH light. Where can the leak come from??

Only PowerHead...

Can be from any one.You can test and see which one is giving the problem and eliminate the or remedy the source oof leak.

Regards

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

so there is only 1 way is to change all the 3 PH right? anyone got PH for sale??

Bro,

Did you confirm it is all the PH? Check and see which one is giving you problem.

Need any help ,you can PM or email me at sangms@pacific.net.sg

Regards n Cheers

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

yah... quite agree with Tanzy, grounding the tank is just prevention, finding the root of the problem is a permenent solution. However, tank grounding is very useful if u wan to play safe, small amount of current is fine but if there is a huge amount of current leakage, it could kill us if we get contact to the water or any wet area... grounding provide a safety net where if the leakage is too much, the MCB will trip and safe our life.

I totally agree with Bro Tanzy and Tigershark.

Grounding the tank is just a prevention, finding the root of the problem is a permanent solution.

Regards

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

• SRC Member

I too had an electric shock. Later I used a test pen and found out that it is the China made powerhead that came with the tank.

Now, I have replaced the powerhead with a temporary one, and the electric shock was gone. I intend to buy a good powerhead from reputable manufacturer like Eheim.

I think life is too important to be stingy on a cheap pump and get ourselves electricuted.

Cheers,

Patrick

• SRC Member

A reminder for those who just bought chiller.....go change the 2 pin to 3 pin plug!!

I bought a resun from a fellow reefer and to my surprise, its still on a 2 pin plug!!! and this fellow reefer claims that he has been using for 8-9 month...if I remember correctly!! Gosh!!!

Instantly when i brought home...the first thing I change to a 3 pin plug!!

Be safe! ;)

Was wondering other chiller brands come with 3 pin plug?? :rolleyes:

• SRC Member
A reminder for those who just bought chiller.....go change the 2 pin to 3 pin plug!!

I bought a resun from a fellow reefer and to my surprise, its still on a 2 pin plug!!! and this fellow reefer claims that he has been using for 8-9 month...if I remember correctly!! Gosh!!!

Instantly when i brought home...the first thing I change to a 3 pin plug!!

Be safe! ;)

Was wondering other chiller brands come with 3 pin plug?? :rolleyes:

bro, even if you change the plug to a 3 pin type...... it still does'nt make any diferrent unless u are changing the whole wire. Why am i saying that? Simply because the wire come with the resun chiller that u mentioned is a 2 core live & nuetral wire, the earth wire is not there. even if you change the plug to a 3 pin plug, you are still not utilising the earth pin. :nc::nc::nc:

That is so true. I am surprised that most of these electrical stuff only comes with 2 pin plugs. Kindda scared when so many of these applicances comes into direct contact with Water. Anyone has the answers why this is so?

I never trust China brand. Might be significantly cheaper but you are playing with your life. No offence to the ones using them. This is just my personal opinion.

• SRC Member

Ppl, this is no joke :angry: and don't be careless like me.

Just last night, heard a knock in tank, went to check and saw small PH dislodged from usual place. Then noticed no water current flow.

Without thinking (stupid), just reach my left hand into tank. Immediately upon contact with water ........

WHAM .... :evil: got an electric shock so bad :evil::nuke: and next thing whole house was in darkness !!! :fear:

There will be no replay / encore for you folks, but want you to know I could be dead !! :evil:

So, please be careful ... Safety First :)

• SRC Member

bro, even if you change the plug to a 3 pin type...... it still does'nt make any diferrent unless u are changing the whole wire. Why am i saying that? Simply because the wire come with the resun chiller that u mentioned is a 2 core live & nuetral wire, the earth wire is not there. even if you change the plug to a 3 pin plug, you are still not utilising the earth pin. :nc::nc::nc:

Bro....have la!!! Come with 3 wire in the cable! You think I change the 3 pin plug for the sake of changing???!!! :lol::lol: