Auto Water Top-Up

Octopus Bay

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, buying all these gadgets at times depend abit on your luck. I believed the float switch possess the same kind of threat as the water heater that you have immersed into your fish tank. Afterall, water and electrity are never friends.

As for me, I own one of this switch since I was in UK and it's in my tank since... ~approx. 1yrs plus now ?? Personally, I find it very useful; releasing me from the hassle of topping up the water level regularly ;)

• Sponsor

A reservoir and a siphon which is controlled by the air pressure in the reservoir. The air pressure in the reservoir is controlled by the water level in the sump or aquarium. Fluid is automatically siphoned from the reservoir whenever it is needed, in order to maintain the water level in the sump or aquarium. This occurs until the fluid in the reservoir is depleated, after which the reservoir quietly waits to be refilled. If set up properly, priming the siphon is only required once at the initial setup, which makes the refilling process a breeze. The reservoir replaces only the amount of water lost, even though the evaporation rate may vary. The current version can replenish fluid at a rate of up to 5 gallons per 30 minutes.

sorry this should not post is this forum, should be in marine equipment.. hehehehe

But can think about how to DIY.

• SRC Member

guys,

Cool down.

Hobbyists have been running marine or fresh water tanks without all the fanciful gadgets for many many many years already. And they still are able to keep very excellent setups....some even better than the ones with all the gadgets.

When I developed the TUBBY auto top up system for sale, it was built with safety and convenience and simplicity in mind. I did the research and found the best solution is to use DC. Using AC is so much easier and simpler.....I could have sold the TUBBY at half the price it is now. But I am not ready to compromise some reefer's life for the sake of easy sales. TUBBY is built with DC flowing through the float switches and a FUSE in case any shortcircuit occurs in your pump even. Safety is utmost in my mind. I work in the shipyard so perhaps I tend to be extra safe. Auto top ups are just to make life simpler. But I feel it should not be at the compromise of increased risks.

In this DIY section, we provide reefers who are familiar with DIY solutions to building for themselves DIYed copies of commercial units to save money. But when we provide these solutions, we also have a responsibility to ensure it is safe even for those who are not technically experienced.

And as long as it deals with voltage, we must think many times through before saying things like "It looks safe to me" "I've been using it for years" etc etc.

Float switches can be purchased for less than $20 at SIM LIM TOWER basement. A titanium probe can also be built cheaply for less than $20 using titanium bicycle spokes connected to earth.

The fact is if its DIY, it will definitely be cheaper. But the question is, are you willing to save the money to handle the risks involved?

For people with electrical knowledge such as Barracuda, weileong, benz etc, such projects are easy.....and hence the risks involved are manageable and necessary precautions will be taken because they know what to look out for.

However in our postings in a forum where the public (which includes children, teenages, adults) can read it, I have to stress the responsibility we need to remind ourselves whether we are playing the Devil and tempting the 'innocent' with a dangling carrot?

In short, we know very well the risks involved. When we read about some project related to electricity, we may find it ridiculously simple. But our comments have a heavy impact on those who are not so technically inclined.

So the point is, be responsible and think thoroughly through before making comments which simplify and make dangerous projects seem trivial and extremely safe.

Unless one is prepared to be responsible for any accidents that can happen. Even if one is not made to pay for it, I am very sure one would feel bad for having encouraged it.

Cheers :peace:

• SRC Member

yep it scare me sometime i see tank running with so many wires~~ I wonder what will happen if catch fire~~~

i always try not to overload my tank with too many equipment

Esp after some incidents, those luo han guys use those cheap

china pump and fire broke out~~

• SRC Member

If i'm not wrong this is the know as the NURCE rite? has been aronud for quite a while..works on the principle of forward siphoning. it doesn't require a pump, it just need to be setup properly and ELEVATED higher than the water level in the sump to work. It is quite a smart idea as it drips at the same rate as the evaporation.

However if you r thinking of using this to feed fresh water into a kalkwasser reactor or drip somewhere higher than it's own water level, it will not work. DIY should be fairly simple..if you can make a box tt is airtight with a proper screw lid, couple with a few holes drilled in the correct area, it will work..i dare to say for those diy guru who wants to try it out, this one's a $30ish to $50ish diy, maybe cheaper. But mark the CONs of this device.

• SRC Member

IMO, this device is best to use as a signal whether is for AC or DC source. But not connected directly to a AC powerhead or pump to top up water. In this way, small current will only flow through the device unlike if you connect to a powerhead direct, a much higher current will pass through the device. In our aquarium, very small leakage of current is present due to all this 2pin devices (range between 5-10mA), so best is to have it protected for all high current devices.

Connect the float switch through another monitoring device which will activate the powerhead to top up water will be much better where you can include earth protection.

In that way, you don't have to worry about being electrocuted.

If i'm not wrong this is the know as the NURCE rite? has been aronud for quite a while..works on the principle of forward siphoning. it doesn't require a pump, it just need to be setup properly and ELEVATED higher than the water level in the sump to work. It is quite a smart idea as it drips at the same rate as the evaporation.

However if you r thinking of using this to feed fresh water into a kalkwasser reactor or drip somewhere higher than it's own water level, it will not work. DIY should be fairly simple..if you can make a box tt is airtight with a proper screw lid, couple with a few holes drilled in the correct area, it will work..i dare to say for those diy guru who wants to try it out, this one's a $30ish to $50ish diy, maybe cheaper. But mark the CONs of this device.

You know the price of NURCE?

Anyone Bulk Order? or DIY to sell??