Best color light for flouresence

Quas111

• SRC Member

I was wondering, what light wavelength brings out the best flouresence in corals. I don't mean growth though, just flouresence. I doubt that the exact same color used for growth will be used for flouresence, but I'm no expert in aquarium lighting.

Also what color reflects of fish with shiny bodies best? You know, those fishes with shiny blue lines?

• SRC Member

coral florescence will be violets (410-420nm) and royal Blues (455-465nm). Most led fixtures have at least 2 channels (white & Blue) try turning on your blue light only and you'll see beautiful "artificial" colors on your corals.

If you want to add some nice (but expensive) "pop" to your current lighting. Can get the Ecoxotic stunner strips (RB + Magenta). other alternatives would be to DIY.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Oh ok thanks but doesn't the normal two channel LEDs have mainly 450nm channel and a cool white led channel? Is that the best configuration or is there any better version of color concentration (eg. More 420nm). Maybe I will just have to play around by myself. I may diy to test out the colors, the ecoxotic strips are ridiculously expensive for their design

• SRC Member

There are many LEDs that now comes with hyper violets to bring out the colors. Those with only blues & cool whites are older technology already & much cheaper now. But of course, LEDs using only blues & cool whites are not good at bringing out colors of SPS. Soft corals & zoas color are still ok with this old technology.