Yellow Tang vs Purple Tang - Round One!

• SRC Member

I think the trick is the new tang or fish of the same kind should be bigger...

just bought a smaller fire goby and the old fire goby attack it a bit....

this did not happen when I bought this old fishwhen the older fish is around :lol: .. the old fish is slighly bigger than the older fish back then... B)

• SRC Member
Thanks all.

So there's a chance they'll shake fins?

I'll give it another week, but so far, the PT is able to hide well and the fins started to grow back.

Cheers

Since you already have both tangs, try to rearrange your rocks, with luck each will find their own turf.

• SRC Member
I think the trick is the new tang or fish of the same kind should be bigger...

just bought a smaller fire goby and the old fire goby attack it a bit....

this did not happen when I bought this old fishwhen the older fish is around :lol: .. the old fish is slighly bigger than the older fish back then... B)

very complicated .. took me a while to understand that old older stuff.. :lol:

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

I think its the same for most fishes. Buy same kind at different times and the older one will disturb the newbie. After a while they get bored and will just leave the newbie alone. Only thing is pray and hope it doesn't nip too much of the fins.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member

I just added a smalled purple tang to my 3ft with a larger YT, Kole and Hippo. Wish me luck...

I put a huge mirror against my tank. Work once before. See whether it is first time lucky or this method have good repeatibility...kekeke. Today is day 1. :P

• SRC Member

I have a brown tang, a yellow tang and a purple tang the later slightly bigger than the fromer two, about 2 inch. All three going around the tank clearing all my aglae on the LR/sand happily. :lol: You one bite, I one bite and she (?) one bite (of the algae of course). They just keep themselves to the tang family and don't disturb my clowns, gobies and corals.

One big happy family. :)

• SRC Member

usually, YT or PT will take residence of the tank.. the same thing happens when i added my YT and they fought but only for the nite... the next morning, they are swimming side by side.. the size of the tank also helps, together with the size of the newbie...

Let us work together to preserve the world for our children to inherit by being responsible to our surroundings. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints, bubbles and memories.

• SRC Member
I have a brown tang, a yellow tang and a purple tang the later slightly bigger than the fromer two, about 2 inch. All three going around the tank clearing all my aglae on the LR/sand happily. :lol: You one bite, I one bite and she (?) one bite (of the algae of course). They just keep themselves to the tang family and don't disturb my clowns, gobies and corals.

One big happy family. :)

err...2inches each in a 60inches tank should be able to find their own zone lar.... :D

• SRC Member
I just added a smalled purple tang to my 3ft with a larger YT, Kole and Hippo. Wish me luck...

I put a huge mirror against my tank. Work once before. See whether it is first time lucky or this method have good repeatibility...kekeke. Today is day 1. :P

Day 2 is the most worst. Fins all tattered. Today is day 4 and the fins seem to be recovering.

I think the anger management using mirror does work. 80% of the time, YT and Kole fight themselves, 20% they fight with PT. At least PT seem to be able to hold his own now and can swim around.

Does anyone have any experience in first introducing into one of those clear acrylic boxes with holes in the side walls? Let them see no touch first? LFS always do this, but somehow I cannot bear to see my new fish restrained in the box becos I though it might already be stressed enuf. Like being jailed.

• SRC Member

Day 2 is the most worst. Fins all tattered. Today is day 4 and the fins seem to be recovering.

I think the anger management using mirror does work. 80% of the time, YT and Kole fight themselves, 20% they fight with PT. At least PT seem to be able to hold his own now and can swim around.

Does anyone have any experience in first introducing into one of those clear acrylic boxes with holes in the side walls? Let them see no touch first? LFS always do this, but somehow I cannot bear to see my new fish restrained in the box becos I though it might already be stressed enuf. Like being jailed.

my YT is the old fish & PT the new fish. infact, i purposely buy a PT that is slightly bigger than the YT, but no use. PT still kana chase round & round the tank & kana whack. ended up torn fins & cuts on both fish.

so catch the PT & put inside the acrylic box inside the main tank for 3 weeks. then release & all happened again. now catch the YT & put inside the acrylic box foe 3 weeks. then release & again fight.

tried last method, catch the YT up & put in a pail for almost an hour. release back, fight a little while then swimming happily together.

the last method was tested yesterday (sunday morning).

IMO, YT is more aggressive even if it's size is smaller than the new fish, unless u buy a new tang that is 2 time it's size. have not try though. but will try this method when i next buy a sailfin tang.

good luck.

It's a matter of luck...

I have blue (3.5 inches), sailfin (1.5 inches), yellow (2 inches) and brown tang (3.5 inches).

The fighting will usually last for 2 days and broken fins is inevitable...

To minimize confrontation, I usually add each new tang during lights out...

Now they can even share a piece of seaweed.... :lol::lol:

Though there are occasional chasing, it's important to plan some 'escape routes' based on your live rock arrangments...