return pump liter/hour

Cheeng Su An

hi guys,

my tank is 440 liters and i am using a 1000liters/hour return pump (resun) and so far it is working nicely but i've been thinking to put in a powerful return pump to increase tank water flow/circulation.

and suggestion on this??for 440 liters tank what flow rate pump i can use??

thanks in advance :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• SRC Member

My tank volune is similar to yours and am using jebao dc6000. Max setting pump to the display tank and i find it just nice (:

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

| Display : 48x30x22 Skimmer : SK-201 skimz

| Sump : 30x24x18 Wavemaker : 2x RW-15 , 1x RW-8

| Cooling : 1HP titanium drop in coil ATO : JBJ

| Lighting : ATI Sunpower 8x54w + 48x cree xte royal blue Return : Jebao dc-6000

| Dosing : Jebao dosing pump [ CaCl2 + NaHCO3 ] Pump :

| Reactor : FSZ Z160 zeolite reactor & phosban 150

| System : ZEOVIT

decomm-ed :

Ydkm SPS reef

:wub: >><< :wub:

Ideally, turnover rate of a normal reef tank should be ~10x of your total volume

Therefore, I would suggest TS get a pump which is more suitably rated (4000-5000lph)

Any less you run the risk of the rate of overflow is greater than your return which results in the drainage of your DT

Also, to increase circulation and flow in the display, one should make use of wave makers instead of relying on the return pump(learned the hard way)

Just my two cents worth;)

• SRC Member

Personally, I would recommend jebao dc6000, only 40 watts and reasonable price. Flowrate is adjustable from I think 1800 l/hr to 6000 l/hr via its 6 modes controller. There is also a feed mode that temp off the pump for 10 mins before auto resuming.

I just changed from eheim 1260 (2400 l/hr) which is already 65 watts! I'm using mode 3 for jebao and it's strong enough for my tank already.

There is a review: http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/equipment-reviews/141889-jebao-dc-6000-return-pump.html

Mode and watts consumption:

1 - 14 watts

2 - 19 watts

3 - 25 watts

4 - 32 watts

5 - 39 watts

6 - 51 watts

If you are those that must buy German made one, then ehiem is a good option.

• SRC Member

About return flow, it actually depends on what we want to do.

For nutrient export like deep sand bed, macro algae, etc. we need slow flow.

The Italian guy who owns Elos tank maker during this year MACNA said that it is a fallacy to say that return pump has e.g. to be 10x per hour . Contradicting to this, for nutrient export we want a slow water movement.

I tend to agree with his argument.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk