I almost got scammed USD51,140! be very careful

Xtrader

• SRC Member

I received an email from my "client" telling me to TT USD51,140 to a US account.
He say he will be busy travelling and at that time I was in Shenzhen.
He also ask me to send him his latest statement after the transfer.
As he was travelling and I'm in China, he did not reply my what's app.
So I raised a TT from his trading account to the US account and send his balance statement to him.
After a while later "he" forwarded an email from the broker asking him to authorised the transaction.
He ask me for his Password and User ID and I send it to him.

About an hour later my client email and ask me what's all these TT!
I replied, didn't you ask for it?
He call me on phone immediately and told me WE HAVE BEEN SCAMMED, I DID NOT SEND YOU THE EMAIL!!!!!
I panicked, we both called USA broker to stop the transaction.
Fortunately, we managed to stop it in time.
I was stupid enough to give the password and ID to him........there were more than a quarter million in that account! While writing now, I'm breaking into cold sweat.

Apparently, this guy broke into our emails and knew what's going on between us.
I didn't suspect anything and he can intercept all our mails and
use my client's email to communicate the way my client would with me.

Shortly after this incident, my instagram, twitter and other mails were compromised.
Once any of your email been compromise chances the rest will follow suite.

So, be warned! when you receive email asking for money from friend or relative, make sure you make the call first!

• SRC Member

Heng ah.

Thanks for sharing.

As a precaution, never open multiple tabs on browser when checking webmail, internet banking, etc. It is very easy to steal information especially if the website is not property developed securely.

Always just use 1 single session at a time.

Also never download and run any executable files especially from untrusted site. The best way is to have different virtual machine for different purpose e.g. different VM for downloading/ playing games, different VM for internet banking and personal emails checking.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Wow lucky bro.

Next time be very careful

6.5 * 2 * 2 + 3.75 * 1.5 *1.5,(Decomn on 14/9/08)
4*2*2 + 2.5*1.25*1.25 (Decomn on 1/8/09)
5*2*2 (Fully LED light system, 140 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)
2.5*2*2(Fully LED Light System,96 3 watt SSC leds with 60 degree lens)(Decomm)

5*2.5*2(LED only)

Eheim return 1 * pump

1 HP Daikin compressor with cooling coil
2 Jebao OW40, 1 ecotech MP40,
1X6085 Tunze wm,

1 CURVE 7 Skimmer

1 DIY 80 led control by Bluefish mini 

1 radion XR30W G2, 2 Radion XR15G3

Sump area lite by 5 ft T5 , 6 * SSC 3 watt red LED for refugium

1 Full spectrum E27 led light

1 CR control by bubble count

Start No Water Change since 1st Dec 2016

Add new 2.5x2x 1.5 ft 

nLekOfpYts.jpg
[/quote]

Hi bro, my previous company also got scammed the same way, the hackers got access to all our and our Korean principal emails. It just so happen that we need the goods out of the factory, normally we would have terms, but the "principals" emailed back with a very similar email name and said that we have to pay to get our goods out and something like their account in Korea is not working and asked us to transfer the money to a Spain offshore account.

It all seemed very legit as if we are talking with our principal, but in fact is the hackers impersonating them. In the end we paid first, as we are almost late for delivery, but when we called Korea, they said they have not receieved any money and that they had been hacked....

Don't think they can get any money back, as money was willingly transferred over. Served a lesson to take note to double check everything if something out of the ordinary happened....

My advice. Don't rely just on emails for key communications especially when monetary transactions are involved. Always follow up with a phone call to confirm everything is in place before proceeding. We are living in a high tech and well educated world, not in the 30s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Bro Xtrader One idea is to also setup a kind of identification with your client Like when we call bank they verify us But regularly change these identification q&a E.g when we had conversation the last time, what is your car color, etc. This can be used in case phone call not possible or convenient. Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk