The most evil marine pests caught

• SRC Member

Guys,

I thought apitasa was dreadful but these blood-sucking isopod pests are probably one of my worst nightmare, never encountered before. They will come out at night after tank nights are off, attached to the fish, and start sucking the host blood till next day.

I've lost a few firefishes and blennies but was too late when I remove the Isopods from their bodies. Some are smart enough to drop off before you manage to catch the fish. The only way now for me to catch them is when the tank nights are off and using the torchlight when they are out hunting. Some ended up trapped in the filter wool at the sump. Killed 20 and I believe many still lurk around the DT.

Anyone has good ideas to eradicate them to share? Can't use any wrasses cos these pests are only out when all the fishes are sleeping.

Sigh....

post-5553-0-85455200-1387099887_thumb.jp

post-5553-0-43241500-1387099898_thumb.jp

• SRC Member
Guys, I thought apitasa was dreadful but these blood-sucking isopod pests are probably one of my worst nightmare, never encountered before. They will come out at night after tank nights are off, attached to the fish, and start sucking the host blood till next day. I've lost a few firefishes and blennies but was too late when I remove the Isopods from their bodies. Some are smart enough to drop off before you manage to catch the fish. The only way now for me to catch them is when the tank nights are off and using the torchlight when they are out hunting. Some ended up trapped in the filter wool at the sump. Killed 20 and I believe many still lurk around the DT. Anyone has good ideas to eradicate them to share? Can't use any wrasses cos these pests are only out when all the fishes are sleeping. Sigh....
Bro, get a clear bottle or container, poke some holes, tie a string to the container and drop into the bottom of tank at night. Put some pieces of shrimp meat in the container. After an hour, use a torch and shine at container. If there are isopods, pull string to take out container. The holes dun make to big cos later when u pull out the isopods might flow out thru the holes. Repeat a few times till no more.

Tank size:36"x36"x24"

Return pump" 2x Reef Octo 5000

Skimmer:BK Double Cone 200 on Reef Octopus DC 5500s.

Wavemaker:2xVortech MP40wES

Chemical filtration:1xeducator FR(biopellets)

Chiller:1hp Daikin compressor.

Lighting:2 x Kessil A360we

Auto topup system: JBJ ATO + new jet 1200

Dosing system: Kamoer 3 channel.

Additives: ESV 2 part.

Power consumption

2XReef Octo 5000: 120watts

BK skimmer:50watts

2xVortech wavemaker:70watts

Daikin compressor:775watts

Lighting:180watts

Ato system:21watts

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

Thanks for the idea. I'll try that out, maybe I'll put a small kunning fish from ntuc since these pests love to hunt for fishes blood.

The first pic above showed the amount of blood it sucked from my firefish, and unfortunately, the fish didn't make it till this evening after I removed that bugger from its body. : ( I really hate these Isopods.

• SRC Member
Thanks for the idea. I'll try that out, maybe I'll put a small kunning fish from ntuc since these pests love to hunt for fishes blood. The first pic above showed the amount of blood it sucked from my firefish, and unfortunately, the fish didn't make it till this evening after I removed that bugger from its body. : ( I really hate these Isopods.
Actually if u can tahan dun add any fish into tank, without hosts, its easier to bait them. So far I try this method sure to catch them. But for fishes with isopods on them, hopefully they will dislodge their grip and go for the bait. U use zoom in on the isopods, look like quite big sia.

Power consumption

Exhaust fans:16watts

Refugium light:27watts

• SRC Member

Found this advice from Reefkeeping:

animals is to catch them all, which although tedious, is possible. Generally, this involves using a sacrificial fish, usually something easy to catch and moderately large. A yellow tang is a good choice for this because the fish's color pattern allows easy determination of the presence of the parasite. The other fish in the tank are collected and removed to a quarantine tank, and the "bait" fish is introduced. This fish is checked periodically and, if the parasites are seen on it, it is netted and removed to a flat surface where it may be immobilized with a wet paper towel. The parasite is removed with a pair of tweezers or forceps. The fish is then returned to the tank, and the procedure repeated. Often the parasites are nocturnal; consequently, the fish will have to be examined before the lights come on. The aquarium is probably free of the parasites if none are seen on the fish for a month or so after the last one has been collected.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

These pests are definitely from the liverocks I bought from the farm. Prob over 50 hiding in there. Each about 3mm to 10mm in length.

I dip the rocks in high salinity, but I think I was too impatient and fearing the lost of the purple coralline, I took out the rocks from the dip within 5 mins and these pests probably survived. My greatest mistake for not dipping the liverocks longer or they somehow can survive in high salinity dip. And they move quite fast.

Thanks bro for the article. Maybe the 'sacrificial' fish method would help.

• SRC Member

I used white clams after lights off and indeed, plenty of isopods went straight for the clams and I just net the clams up.

But after observation, I realized they looked different from the evil blood sucking ones which are broader in body, have long feelers, a distinct fan-out shape tail, and like blood which are why they didn't take the bait. The ones caught could be just normal good isopods, scavengers.

Will try using kunning fish next round.

• SRC Member
I used white clams after lights off and indeed, plenty of isopods went straight for the clams and I just net the clams up. But after observation, I realized they looked different from the evil blood sucking ones which are broader in body, have long feelers, a distinct fan-out shape tail, and like blood which are why they didn't take the bait. The ones caught could be just normal good isopods, scavengers. Will try using kunning fish next round.
isopod got good one meh?

Power consumption