1000 Gallon 3D Hole in the wall

Harlequinmania

• SRC Supporter

Notice a increase in p04 recently and is time for harvesting my chaeto again. Usually after each harvest, my phosphate level will start to drop again.

3311996be3ae75b491aafe1f117a57bd.jpg

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter
Does cheato increase po4?

Decrease you mean?. When chaeto grow, or absorb nutrients like nitrate and phosphate from the water itself.

Decrease you mean?. When chaeto grow, or absorb nutrients like nitrate and phosphate from the water itself.

Oh! Because i wrote after havesting your cheato po4 will decrease so i assume that having cheato will increase po4z

• SRC Supporter
Why after harvest PO4 will drop? 

Should it be dropping since there a underwhelming supply of Cheato?

When you harvest the cheato by removing it out of your refugium, you are making more room for new chaeto to grow especially those in the bottom which growth could be affected by the lack of light , thus witg the new growth, it will absorb the nutrient from the water.

• Like 1

• SRC Supporter
new nyos quantum 300 skimmer which is rated for 4000 litres.
What the price range..
I search http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/forum/229-reef-market-sg/
Didn't manage to get the price.

Oh btw what you plan to do to your old skimmer?

Maybe I will sell one and keep the other side spare

Hi he,

Can't believe I never saw this thread... Awesome tank and equipment!! Bravo for your achievements.

I've got a few questions...

1. I saw 3 overflow pipes... is that a Bean Animal overflow system?
2. You said you have 2 returns running parallel. I would like to do the same but I have this issue. The last chamber in my sump that houses the return pump goes down to 50% when the system is running. If I shutdown the whole system, the overflow pulls down some water and fills up the sump to the brim. So in a normal running condition, i don't have enough water volume in the sump to cater for 2 return pumps. 

I noticed that you installed check valves. Some school of thought suggests that we don't use this valves, as it is prone to failure. But I think it should resolve the issue with water siphoning down to my sump when the system is off. In this case, I can put more water in my sump and running 2 return pumps might be possible. The check valves will also limit the flow up to a level, but not so significant as the DC pumps are adjustable anyway.

So I just want to know about your technique of circulating the water in the tank while maintaining good levels in the sump and reducing overflow noise.... :)

Thanks

• SRC Supporter
Hi he,
Can't believe I never saw this thread... Awesome tank and equipment!! Bravo for your achievements.
I've got a few questions...
1. I saw 3 overflow pipes... is that a Bean Animal overflow system?
2. You said you have 2 returns running parallel. I would like to do the same but I have this issue. The last chamber in my sump that houses the return pump goes down to 50% when the system is running. If I shutdown the whole system, the overflow pulls down some water and fills up the sump to the brim. So in a normal running condition, i don't have enough water volume in the sump to cater for 2 return pumps. 
I noticed that you installed check valves. Some school of thought suggests that we don't use this valves, as it is prone to failure. But I think it should resolve the issue with water siphoning down to my sump when the system is off. In this case, I can put more water in my sump and running 2 return pumps might be possible. The check valves will also limit the flow up to a level, but not so significant as the DC pumps are adjustable anyway.
So I just want to know about your technique of circulating the water in the tank while maintaining good levels in the sump and reducing overflow noise....
Thanks

It could be due to your sump design that your last compartment of your sump is make too small to hold water . I don't use bean animal it is just a simple 3 duso piping for downward water flow.

Also I only use the check valve on my water change line piping and not on my main return piping line, as like what you said it might affect the flow over time.

Having a closed loop pump is also very useful to generate flow and water movement inside the tank itself, so I don't face any dead spot issue .

23 hours ago, Mike Stone said:

Hi I was actually asking what is your old skimmer that you may intend to WTS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• 2 weeks later...