feedin on eel

Veronicayun Yun

I use to feed market prawn for my eel but do I ned to cook the market prawn first and feed them or is gd to feed them raw?

Nope. Plus I think cooking them usually brings out the prawn's natural oil that could have been ingested by the eel instead of floating on your tank.

I feed mine with fresh water guppies. (It's a bit barbaric though) I scope a fish or two using a net, and swing the net against a surface, say a furniture or floor. That will instantly kill the fish and then use chopsticks to feed the eel. That way I know it's eating fresh meat.

• SRC Member

Just think of how things are in nature. Do eels cook their food? Do saltwater fishes eat freshwater fishes?

Answers:

no, don't cook the prawn. Feed it raw and unshelled.

Avoid feeding freshwater feeders to saltwater fishes, such feeders does not contain the necessary nutrition for the long term. Such live feeders are usually used to induce initial feeding response only. Not as long term food substitute.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Just think of how things are in nature. Do eels cook their food? Do saltwater fishes eat freshwater fishes?

Answers:

no, don't cook the prawn. Feed it raw and unshelled.

Avoid feeding freshwater feeders to saltwater fishes, such feeders does not contain the necessary nutrition for the long term. Such live feeders are usually used to induce initial feeding response only. Not as long term food substitute.

Actually, guppies are brackish meaning, it can live in fresh and saltwater(slightly less salinity) environment. Though other than that, I tend to disagree with your conclusion. I think even long term wise, it wouldn't really hurt that much. As long as these animals have the protein they need plus amino acids, etc. they should be good. My pet eel was pretty healthy at that time(2+ years). I only lost him(or her) due to tearful accident. Health wise, I just make sure that what I fed it with must be without defect or visible diseases.

Though I agree on the cooked vs uncooked food.

videx but I through tat feeding them guppies is not good .... as I saw some news on it...

In my experience, guppies should be ok. My pet eel had superb colorization. Appetite is crazy. like 4 guppies a day. Though, I noticed it doesn't like the orange colored guppies for some reason. It prefers the standard grey guppies.

This is the species of my pet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophichthidae

Always stays under the sand, and you can only see either its snout or head. I know its excited when the moment I let it sniff the guppy using a chopsticks of course, it will try to go at it like a cobra snake. Really fun to watch.

It really scares me though, when it get too excited that it comes out of the sand and swim like a snake around the tank when I excite it too much.

Anyway sorry for the digression. My personal golden rule is, feed it what it likes but make sure the food is healthy, fresh and disease free.

• SRC Member

Soak in Selcon

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• 2 weeks later...

I hv a big eel I try to feed it with market prawn, silver fish and even anchovies but he is nt eating at all... .><

Maybe it prefers something fresher... like guppies alive a few seconds ago.

Try to brush the feed to it's snout repeatedly. I must admit, it takes the eel a bit of training before it gets used to the feeding habit. Just be patient, it slowly becomes easier to train as it becomes hungrier when not eating.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...