vinegar Dosing 101

ASHWIN

• SRC Member

Anybody vinegar dose? If Yes pls Advice..Thanxs bros!..my nitrates are bout 20PPM and phosphates at o.o3..-salifert testkit..getting bit of diatoms ..otherwise corals are rocking..I have sps that ate growing a bit slow..cause of phos?? ..i would like my levels low..So my lps dont suffer and turn to vinegar dosing..so bros anyone use it? So far good things said about it..pls advice Thanks!! Happy CNY bros and Sis! :D

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

I think vinegar may be not, but vodka last time got. Try search the forum.

Careful ah, later your fish tank become tom yam soup :D

I use BioFuel (Brightwell aquatic product). It is the same type for carbon source. It smells a bit like ethanol. For carbon dosing to work, need a balance between NO3 and PO4. Also may need bacteria dosing to help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• SRC Member

I think vinegar may be not, but vodka last time got. Try search the forum.

Careful ah, later your fish tank become tom yam soup :D

I use BioFuel (Brightwell aquatic product). It is the same type for carbon source. It smells a bit like ethanol. For carbon dosing to work, need a balance between NO3 and PO4. Also may need bacteria dosing to help.

Bro! Dont scare me lah Tom Yam Soup All Hahaha!..Oh vodka..How much is That Brightwell Product..I Did my calculatiins for 3 month Period i only use RM20 For White vinegar! haha even cheapest vodka that burns stomachs cost a bit ..hmm Have A Link to that Thread?..Thanx bro!..:)

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Bro I would advise you not to use vodka unless you really know what you're doing.

Over the years I'd heard many tank crash because of that so don't play play with it lol.

If you want a more control method biopallet are still your best bet.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

• SRC Member
Bro I would advise you not to use vodka unless you really know what you're doing. Over the years I'd heard many tank crash because of that so don't play play with it lol.If you want a more control method biopallet are still your best bet.Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk
Thanx bro..Yeah No Vodka Then..Hmm Biopellet a bit too pricey..How bout vinegar?..some say sugar..Which i experimented with my frag Tank and Had a bit if cyano .And didnt See much Drop in nitrates and phosphates..Then again my dose might be too small 2ML/ Daily..So No Sugar.. X..Haha..i Will Keep Reading on vinegar..Hope it does what people Say it does! :) Any Ways Thanks bro For The Advice! :)..Nice Shirt For Your Snail You hv there haha "Designer Tubeworms! .. Cheers!/./

• SRC Member

Thanx bro..Yeah No Vodka Then..Hmm Biopellet a bit too pricey..How bout vinegar?..some say sugar..Which i experimented with my frag Tank and Had a bit if cyano.And didnt See much Drop in nitrates and phosphates..Then again my dose might be too small 2ML/ Daily..So No Sugar.. X..Haha..i Will Keep Reading on vinegar..Hope it does what people Say it does! :) Any Ways Thanks bro For The Advice! :)..Nice Shirt For Your Snail You hv therehaha "Designer Tubeworms! ..Cheers!/./

No problem. Maybe if you wanna find out about vinegar dosing, you could pm bro evolution. If I never recalled wrongly he dose vinegar.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

• SRC Member

No problem. Maybe if you wanna find out about vinegar dosing, you could pm bro evolution. If I never recalled wrongly he dose vinegar.

Thanks bro..Appreciate it!

• SRC Member

Anyone?..i hv msg bro evo..but i guess hes busy..

• SRC Member

Basically I followed the link Victor posted. There is a chart at the bottom of the page for you to follow. I started slow and slowly rise to currently about 15-20ml/day. Do not that you should not exceed 1ml/gallon. Dosing vinegar would result in white stringy bacterial films. But that's easy to remove and better than algae! And do note you also need a powerful skimmer for the vinegar to work well.

As for which vinegar to choose. I go for heinz distilled vinegar (the glass bottle) there are a lot of other vinegars out there some are artificial vinegar. Not sure if those will work so I stick to current one

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• SRC Member

Sorry missed ur thread! You can Google about vinegar dosing for reef tank . I'll post more details about my set up later.

I Msg you too.:) Sorry bro kacao you..Its ok bro ;D

• SRC Member

Basically I followed the link Victor posted. There is a chart at the bottom of the page for you to follow. I started slow and slowly rise to currently about 15-20ml/day. Do not that you should not exceed 1ml/gallon. Dosing vinegar would result in white stringy bacterial films. But that's easy to remove and better than algae! And do note you also need a powerful skimmer for the vinegar to work well.

As for which vinegar to choose. I go for heinz distilled vinegar (the glass bottle) there are a lot of other vinegars out there some are artificial vinegar. Not sure if those will work so I stick to current one

Noted Bro Thanks!..RO DCS200INT Should be ok right? One more reefer said to dose in my overflow so cryptic zone or something..Do You See Any Good Effect? Algae gone? Flexibility on Feeding?..one more thing does your lps like it..i hv some zoas..but scared might starve out..coukd i tune the dose to keep a stable nitrate and phosphate? Thanks bro..you damn pro!

• SRC Member
Thanks bro Victor! Really Appreciate it! :)

• SRC Member

bro

vinegar definitely economical

just need to follow the advice carefully

the biofuel a 500ml is close to 3 red notes

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Bro Is It The Same Thing As RF Fuel polylab?..Btw Thanks bro!

• SRC Member

Yes bro

It is similar (carbon source). They probably differ in material but both are carbon source.

Thanks bro..My RF Fuel Also gonna Finish Will Try Vinegar! Tks Again! :)

Hi guys,

I am on vodka dosing for almost 5 mth. Simply like it but realised it is not sustainable. Hard to keep getting people to buy absolute vodka whenever they fly. Buying from shop is more than twice the price at airport.

Intending to switch to vinegar dosing. Other than than vodka carbon is 8times of 5% distilled vinegar, is there any other things I should take note of?

Also, is there a more concentrated distilled vinegar in local market?

Thanks.

• SRC Member

Just would like to share my bad experience with vinegar dosing with my SPS tank.

Before dosing, my NO3 is around 40ppm, did not test PO4.

First week of dosing (2ppm daily for 55L tank) - my SPS seemed to enjoy the decrease in nutrient levels and fast growth observed.

Second week - decided to up the dosage to 4ppm daily, all SPS seemed to do fine.

Third week - one day I came home to find my tank filled with tiny white gooey specks floating around. I had already anticipated this harmless bacterial bloom so I just shrugged it off. As days go by more and more white gooey stuff started to engulf the tank glass, my wavemakers and pump were clogged with this white crap... water is cloudy. It seemed like a never ending bacteria bloom.

It was the worse mistake I had ever made in reefing. Tested my NO3 = 0.

SPS started to STN one by one, suspected that the lack of nutrients in the water is starving my corals.

Its been almost 2 months since I stopped the vinegar dosing and my NO3 is still at 0. I'm dosing amino acids heavily daily to try to bring my nutrients up. Did 50% WC twice in this 2 months. Managed to clear all the white stuff, water is clear. But there are still white stuff stuck in my pumps that fly out whenever I turn them off and on.

I would strongly advise against any form of carbon dosing unless you know what you're doing. Simple GFO product (Seachem Prosguard only costs $8 a bottle) is enough to control nutrients.. why take the risk? Carbon dosing fuels bacteria growth unnaturally... when this bacteria growth gets too much and out of control, that is where the trouble starts.

Just sharing my experience.

Sometimes the good guys gotta do bad things to make the bad guys pay. - Harvey Specter

• SRC Member
Just would like to share my bad experience with vinegar dosing with my SPS tank. Before dosing, my NO3 is around 40ppm, did not test PO4. First week of dosing (2ppm daily for 55L tank) - my SPS seemed to enjoy the decrease in nutrient levels and fast growth observed. Second week - decided to up the dosage to 4ppm daily, all SPS seemed to do fine. Third week - one day I came home to find my tank filled with tiny white gooey specks floating around. I had already anticipated this harmless bacterial bloom so I just shrugged it off. As days go by more and more white gooey stuff started to engulf the tank glass, my wavemakers and pump were clogged with this white crap... water is cloudy. It seemed like a never ending bacteria bloom. It was the worse mistake I had ever made in reefing. Tested my NO3 = 0. SPS started to STN one by one, suspected that the lack of nutrients in the water is starving my corals. Its been almost 2 months since I stopped the vinegar dosing and my NO3 is still at 0. I'm dosing amino acids heavily daily to try to bring my nutrients up. Did 50% WC twice in this 2 months. Managed to clear all the white stuff, water is clear. But there are still white stuff stuck in my pumps that fly out whenever I turn them off and on. I would strongly advise against any form of carbon dosing unless you know what you're doing. Simple GFO product (Seachem Prosguard only costs $8 a bottle) is enough to control nutrients.. why take the risk? Carbon dosing fuels bacteria growth unnaturally... when this bacteria growth gets too much and out of control, that is where the trouble starts. Just sharing my experience.
Wah this sounds scary !!!

• SRC Member

Just would like to share my bad experience with vinegar dosing with my SPS tank.

Before dosing, my NO3 is around 40ppm, did not test PO4.

First week of dosing (2ppm daily for 55L tank) - my SPS seemed to enjoy the decrease in nutrient levels and fast growth observed.

Second week - decided to up the dosage to 4ppm daily, all SPS seemed to do fine.

Third week - one day I came home to find my tank filled with tiny white gooey specks floating around. I had already anticipated this harmless bacterial bloom so I just shrugged it off. As days go by more and more white gooey stuff started to engulf the tank glass, my wavemakers and pump were clogged with this white crap... water is cloudy. It seemed like a never ending bacteria bloom.

It was the worse mistake I had ever made in reefing. Tested my NO3 = 0.

SPS started to STN one by one, suspected that the lack of nutrients in the water is starving my corals.

Its been almost 2 months since I stopped the vinegar dosing and my NO3 is still at 0. I'm dosing amino acids heavily daily to try to bring my nutrients up. Did 50% WC twice in this 2 months. Managed to clear all the white stuff, water is clear. But there are still white stuff stuck in my pumps that fly out whenever I turn them off and on.

I would strongly advise against any form of carbon dosing unless you know what you're doing. Simple GFO product (Seachem Prosguard only costs $8 a bottle) is enough to control nutrients.. why take the risk? Carbon dosing fuels bacteria growth unnaturally... when this bacteria growth gets too much and out of control, that is where the trouble starts.

Just sharing my experience.

Hi bro how much did you add? ML?..after Reading this im a bit scared..i was suppose to start today After My Water Change..:(..Or can I Start With 5ML +Weekly Heavy feedings..but why didnt you control the dosage?..many reefers told me the amount added can be tuned based on the nitrate level wanted..Haih super scary..your sps rtn? :o..LPS?Fishes?..and Try Feeding Abit Heavy bro..Wouldent That help?..im Resorting to vinegar beacause i have a really Really High Bioload..Battling With Diatoms,Cyano,Green Bubble,Green slime Algae Has got me pist And almost left the hobby..So..I Would Like To Have Flexisibility in Feeding..Thanks bro for you experience..So now your tamk ULNS?..

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I am on vodka dosing for almost 5 mth. Simply like it but realised it is not sustainable. Hard to keep getting people to buy absolute vodka whenever they fly. Buying from shop is more than twice the price at airport.

Intending to switch to vinegar dosing. Other than than vodka carbon is 8times of 5% distilled vinegar, is there any other things I should take note of?

Also, is there a more concentrated distilled vinegar in local market?

Thanks.

how is vodka doing?..You should switch very slowly..to prevent bleaching complications..

how is vodka doing?..You should switch very slowly..to prevent bleaching complications..

It does what is is supposed to. But must always dose in small amt and dose when pump n skimmer r on.

I dose with dosing pump, 5 times a day (3ml approximately each dose). I also face a little bit of the White strings/film, which is the bacteria bloom.

I had accidental dosage with pump n skimmer off and can see the fishes gasping for air in awhile. But they r Ok once the pump n skimmer r on.

Well, I hv not changed water for 4 mth (just top up with rodi). Basically medium live stocking with very few soft coral. Only 1 small frag of sps for testing for 1mth so far.