Tuning SPS Colour With Potassium

• SRC Member

Hi Sifus..I Heard You can Keep Your SPS colours in good shade?..Anyone Dose Potassium..Mine Are Growing well..but my green millie has Turned Abit Gray-Green but showing good PE..My SSC Also is a bit fading..what Is The Rec level of Potassium that should be in the reef tank?..In PPM..Thanks!

cheers!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Thank you bro

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

Just a precaution, when dosing such elements, it is better to get the corresponding test kit and make sure that it is not overdosed. Some trade elements can be lethal if overdose such as iodine/iodate causing the corals to bleach and die.

Potassium level testing is a bit more leceh (cumbersome) using Salifert (compared to the standard KH, Ca, Mg testing). Last time I did dosing for a short while but finding it too cumbersome and now only rely on regular water changes.

So, may be best just with regular water changes using good salt (just my opinion).

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• SRC Member

Hi bro,

Just a precaution, when dosing such elements, it is better to get the corresponding test kit and make sure that it is not overdosed. Some trade elements can be lethal if overdose such as iodine/iodate causing the corals to bleach and die.

Potassium level testing is a bit more leceh (cumbersome) using Salifert (compared to the standard KH, Ca, Mg testing). Last time I did dosing for a short while but finding it too cumbersome and now only rely on regular water changes.

So, may be best just with regular water changes using good salt (just my opinion).

Cheers

Thanks bro..I think i will stick to Water changers :P..But do you think commercial salts hv enough potassium to maintain colour?.

Thanks!

Have A Great Day!

Cheers!

• SRC Member

Coloration is actually a bit complex, bro.

One aspect is the coral pigmentation affected by water parameters and lighting.

Another aspect is the manipulation. The coral may have certain pigment but it can only be brought by certain light wave length. For instance many Corals looks nice under royal blue LED lighting. The nice luminicent color is not visible under normal light. Therefore, color can be manipulated.

This article is interesting on color pigmentation and the color excitation:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/1/aafeature1

For practicality without the need to know all the nitty gritty, we can just refer to the TOTQ winners (refer to the TOTQ thread in this forum) to see how they maintain their water and what light they use to have nice coloration ;)