What algae is this?

• SRC Member

Hi Brothers,

Recently this algae is growing up very fast in my tank, is this Cyano Algae?

I read that cyano algae will grow where the flow is not enough, but in my tank these are grown just in front of my Wave Maker (WP25 running in Else Mode)

While i setup my tank, i added live rock from my previous setup and some dead rocks got from another reefer, now this algae is growing up in all the dead rocks which i added.

This started growing only after i added "Purple Up".

My Tank is 4x2x2 FOWLR with Bare Bottom, Skimmer is BM C7, currently i am on a Hypo to cure ich and since the salinity is very low skimmer is not doing well. This tank is 2 months old. I dont have a quarantine tank so performing Hypo in my DT, No Corals or Inverts in my DT.

I also have Chaeto (2-3 hand full) in my sump.

Feeding once per day. No Causalities for more than a month.

Live Stock:
1. Flame Angel

2. Fox Face

3. Hippo Tang (3 inch)

4. Yellow Tang( 3 inch)

5. Clown - 2 (3 Inch)

6. Fire Fish

7. Chromis

8. Cleaner Wrasse

9. Yellow Wrasse

Please advise me.

post-23214-0-10023400-1391564395_thumb.j

post-23214-0-58231700-1391564396_thumb.j

post-23214-0-32446600-1391564398_thumb.j

• SRC Member

I believe its diatom bloom..I have that too..my tank is ard ur case..1 mth+ 5ft fowlr with old tank LR n dry rocks..I think its high po4 that causes this..i have since added the po4 removal filter (green Colour) n now seeing less or no more growing..I dunnoe issit the filter doing the job anot so dun quote me as I Nber measure po4..

Fyi: My hermit n orangeshoulder tang will eat this type of algae..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

Oh, thanks for the info bro, searched in google and confirmed its diatom... will measure my PO4 tonight and update, since i am doing Hypo i dont want to add any new fishes now.

Will try out the green filter today......

Is there any medicine to control/remove it, is it safe to use it during Hypo.

I have the same in my tank. Waiting for my par38 led light to come and grow some macro algae in my sump. I thought your chaeto should be sufficient to reduce the po4?? That's why I'm getting lights and a timer so that I can grow macro algae to reduce the po4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

I have the same in my tank. Waiting for my par38 led light to come and grow some macro algae in my sump. I thought your chaeto should be sufficient to reduce the po4?? That's why I'm getting lights and a timer so that I can grow macro algae to reduce the po4

I think I read from somewhere cheato remove nitrate, so if nitrate lessen, po4 will increase..I dunnoe how true..any senior Reefer can answer or explain this please..thanks alot..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

I think the root cause for this problem is my green grape algae in the refugium, i didnt notice that it was dead due to the spoilt PAR32, that might have exported lot of nutrients to the tank...

Now Added a new PAR32 (12x3w. 2 blue 455nm. 5 red 660nm. 5 red 630nm) to my refugium and added chaeto,

After taking few other steps to reduce Po4, now i can see it coming down.

May I ask what silicate in tap water? How to remove? Thk u
Hi bro, try to use RO/DI unit to remove chlorine , heavy metal , nitrate and silicate from tap water. My diatom a lot during 1st cycle month, all my LR all turn brown and I keep taking out and brush it. After change water, twice a week , it turns better. I try bio reactor and RO/DI unit to top up my water loss tank and make salt water, current nitrate at 2.5 ppm.( before that is 100ppm. )