Actinic Lighting.....for us or the corals?

I have been running 2x250w DE HQI's (ushio, AB 10k) over my 3ft reef for the past 2 months. I am getting decent colors now but I feel that I could improve on my purples and some greens.

I plan on adding 2 VHO actinics to my canopy and I was curious if this would add to the colorations of my SPS, or will it just make the corals fluoresce and appear to have better color?

Form your experience and opinions do you feel actinic lighting is necessary for good coral coloration? (especially with 10k MH's)

thanks,

Rich

:eyebrow:

• SRC Member

it really depends.. if you are having corals with greenish glow in them, blue light maybe necessary.. I find one of my green mushrooms bleached in white light.. some of the polyps now turn brown (like normal mushrooms). Now I have to alternate between my MH & PL(one white & one blue).

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

Actinics provide a good spike in the 420nm peak of the light spectrum, which is proven to be utilised for coral photosynthesis.

If not just for the above fact, their flourescence (hope I spelt it right) effect and ability to make the corals look more visually appealing and their help in balancing out yellowish light should speak up for their usage.

• SRC Member
sorry, i noe nuts abt lighting, is there actinic blue bulb for PL? thnks. if yes, how much it usually cos for a 2ft?

dunno nothin about actinic blue PL.. I just know they got blue.... :P

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member
den actinic blue is house in which kind of housing? FL, MH? T5?

think its T5 and FL

• SRC Member
No experience with actinic but the 400++nm wavelength sure make the corals look much better.

I have a SE BLV10k and Radium over my tank and the colours of the corals look horrible under the 10k compared to Radium. :P

But if put both 20K, it would be very bluish/purplish right? If given a choice of 2 x 250W SE MH for a 3ft tank, what would be your preferred kelvin rating?

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

Can you guys not go off topic? Go discuss where you can get your bulb costs and availability in a new thread.

Oh and I suggest you do a search on actinic lighting on PLs... it was covered in details many many moons ago.

If not just for the above fact, their flourescence (hope I spelt it right) effect and ability to make the corals look more visually appealing and their help in balancing out yellowish light should speak up for their usage.

Well said. I guess that should be more than enough reason alone.

Thanks for the replies guys

:thanks:

if you were to move a coral from the 10k to the 20k would the color look better immediately? Or is there actual color change?

In my case, it is a immediate difference.

I only turn on the lights in the evening. and I can change the position my lights easily.