Swallowtail Angel with bloated stomach

Hi everyone,

I have a swallowtail which I hv just bought in my QT. It's stomach is bloated with air and struggle to swim downward. The other Swallowtail which is bought together and a PBT are doing well n the QT. So I don't think is the water.

What happen and what can I I do?

I presume swallowtail you mean a genicanthus angelfish.

From your description it sounds like decompression maladies. To be specific it has swim bladder disorder which causes the fish to be bloated and swims head down.

It is quite common for genicanthus angelfish to suffer from decompression maladies because of the bad collection method and its deeper dwelling nature.

Sadly there is no cure for swim bladder disorder except for needling the fish. However no one here can do needling properly and safely.

As such the fish is mostly going to die eventually.

So next time when you buy a genicanthus angel again, look out for a healthy specimen that has been in the shop for a few days and shows no sign of decompression maladies.

Genicanthus is an easy genus if they are not down with decompression maladies. I would encourage you to try again after this one dies but this time take your time to choose carefully a healthy fish.

• Like 1