Sandbed question

agentK

Hi guys! I can't find aragonite over here and the white sand being sold at LFS are of silica variety. So i decided to just got two bags of sand from the local beach (legally of course). Typical gray sand. Had them rinsed well and will let them stand for a week.

Anyway, while rinsing them, i included cleaning my powerhead and found black filings from the sand stick to the magnet impeller part. Is this anything to be concerned about? I remember playing with these filings from beach sand ever since i was a kid and know for sure that this beach isn't a man made one. I hope it's ok though as i'm left with no more choices. TIA!

Ken

• SRC Member

may i ask how you manage to get the sand from the local beaches legally? which authority did you go to? :unsure:

the sand you have got contains some small bits of metals alright. some of the reefers also have reported little quantity of metals found in the packets of sand purchased from LFS. removed them as much as you can while you rinse them so as to minimize any future probelms caused to the water parameters.

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

• SRC Member
hmmm..just wondering..why do you want to save on sand? :blink:

A little savings can go a long way... hee. :lol:

And it's common that aquariums overseas are set up by reefers who collect their own lr, own sand, and own fishes...

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

may i ask how you manage to get the sand from the local beaches legally? which authority did you go to?

The local office of the DENR (Department of Environment and Natural Resources) which is the government department in charge of just that, natural resources. They said two sacks is ok. Doesn't matter though as i plan to bring them back since i found aragonite over here. The supplier labels them as silica sand and it goes for $4USD. It's not pure though as not all disolved but it's better than what i asked for as NO ONE here sells aragonite.

hmmm..just wondering..why do you want to save on sand? :blink:

It's not so much on the savings part (it is a factor in everything. Especially in this expensive hobby of ours. :D) but the fact that i can't find ANY.