are alk, ca and mg levels important in FOWLR?

The 3 big parameters are less important in a FOWLR. Main reason being, corals require the carbonate and calcium to form its skeleton and hence growth. Magnesium is to maintain a healthy balance of KH and CA. No coral, no large concern.

For a FOWLR, you are not too concerned about the 3 parameters. I would say amongst the 3, only kh might be worth looking at, as it determines the water hardness of the tank which in turn also attributes to the tank's PH. Regular change of water keeps this in check. When i used to keep fish only, i didn't even monitor my tank parameters. Just SG level.

Hope this info helps. Cheers.

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

Maybe for FOWLR n want Coraline algae on live rocks need those parameters?

For Desired Coraline Algae Growth..Keeping good Mag Level And Ca Level would be good..Also a Stable KH..

cheers!

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

Agree tat KH is important for FOWLR so that PH is stable n fishes are not stressed by ph fluctuations. However KH is related to Ca, Mg n carbonate.

I used to have problems keeping my KH above 7 and calcium above 350. Had me puzzled for 2 to 3 yrs.

I just keep dripping kalk n carbonate on alternative week but no avail. One day I decided to check Mg level n found its extremely low.

No wonder CA cannot go up as Mg is low. Both has to be up in tandem. So I dump in Mg but still no results.

Then I realised its my coralline algae is the culprit. I had very thick growth of them in my tank. Almost 70% of my back glass were covered in 4mm thick of coralline.

About 2 yrs ago I scrapped off the whole wall of coralline. Took me 2 weeks n back breaking effort.

Then I collect n cured the thick pieces of coralline. Then I crushed them with plier n mixed them into my deep sand bed in sump tank.

• 2 weeks later...