Snowflake eel?

Anyone kept them before? Im thinking of getting this eel for my 4ft 120gallon tank . Isit reef and fish safe? cos im thinking of making it a mixed reef as well.

Here's a couple of fishes in my mind that i would like to put with it :

-blue tang

-Yellow tang

-Cinnamon clown fish

Oh and lastly , where can i get them and at what price?

• SRC Member

Eels are predatory fishes and will try to eat anything it can fit into it's mouth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

• 4 weeks later...

Common fish and inexpensive.

Not popular as locally few reefers keep an aggressive fish setup.

Go to any LFS and enquire you can get it without much effort. If they dont have stock place an order and you get it in the next shipment.

An eel is an eel. Its voracious and requires heavy feeding. Not reefsafe and not suitable for reef setup and those small fishes you listed.

• SRC Member

Aren't snowflakes supposed to be of the pebble tooth moray family and supposed to be both fish safe and coral safe, but not invertebrate safe? That's what I've read as well as heard from friends who have kept them.

• SRC Member

I have a dragon moray which is suppose to be one of the most ferocious eel there is. Pple always recommend without tank mates because all will become food. But my dragon moray is the most timid fish I have... Even my flame clown can snatch food from the eel mouth. It lives peacefully with chromis and tangs. I feed it prawns so no invertabrates in the tank.

Aren't snowflakes supposed to be of the pebble tooth moray family and supposed to be both fish safe and coral safe, but not invertebrate safe? That's what I've read as well as heard from friends who have kept them.

From LADD: "The wild Snowflake Eel is a nocturnal predator, ambushing fish and crustaceans. In the tank, it will take frozen or freeze-dried krill, fish, shrimp, and most meaty foods. It can be taught to hand feed, although this should be done with caution, as it can inflict a painful bite."

Keep it well-fed in the tank and like other eels, it will not bother your tank inhabitants, not even cleaner shrimps!

I have a dragon moray which is suppose to be one of the most ferocious eel there is. Pple always recommend without tank mates because all will become food. But my dragon moray is the most timid fish I have... Even my flame clown can snatch food from the eel mouth. It lives peacefully with chromis and tangs. I feed it prawns so no invertabrates in the tank.

That is because it is well-fed. Eel can go without food for weeks. Usually after a heavy meal, they will just retreat into their hiding den.

They are lazy and if they can grab a big bite without having to chase after their prey, they will not bother with dither fishes in the tank.

Try starving it for a month and your eel will start attacking anything it can find in the tank.

• SRC Member

I actually dun feed it often. That's why I keep a school of chromis with it but it doesn't seems to be interested in them. Sometimes 2-3 weeks I feed it once. Coz no time go market lol. Now I've been trying to feed it more often. Wanna fatten it up. Extremely beautiful when it's whole body come out from its hideout